Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 12-21-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
tileguy88
Tile Man

spots on limestone...

I looked at a home that has Lagos Azul honed limestone flooring. On 2 of the tiles, there are a couple of small round stains, apparently from something being dripped. I'm looking for some advice on removing the stains. I have stone polishing pads for my grinder. My thought was maybe try polishing the spots out. I'd like to avoid removing the tiles if possible. ...any suggestions?
tileguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
Jhereg
Signature Tile - Owner

found this for you. I know a little about poltices, never tried it myself.

'Being porous, Limestone can be easily stained, unless it is properly sealed. However, removing stains from Limestone countertops is not as difficult as you may imagine. In fact their very porous nature allows the use of what is called a poultice to re-absorb the stain out of the limestone. Poultices are either made with a powered whitening agent like hydrogen peroxide or a chemical reducing agent. The poultice is wet with distilled water and then applied to the stain and allowed to dry for 48 hours. After this time the stain will have been absorbed into the poultice, which can then be rinsed away along with the stain. '

taken from www.guide4home.com

there's a bit more detailed info at this link

http://www.natural-stone.com/stainremoval.html

good luck!
http://www.facebook.com/signaturetile
Jhereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Brian

First we have to decide if this is a stain or an etch. A stain is darker, and an etch is lighter.

The fix could be something as simple as abrasion with sandpaper or a honing powder. I don't recommend using a high speed grinder for this. Lower rpm equipment is much safer for this type of application.

Use caution if a poultice is used. Limestones can be very sensitive, and irreversible damage can occur if the wrong products are used.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
tileguy88
Tile Man

So it sounds like we are dealing with etching. The spots on the stone are light compared to the dark color of the stone. More gray than white. At the correct angle to light, they appear as a dull spot on the surface. Wetting the stone makes them disappear, but only until the stone dries. The general contractor has speculated that it might be some type of anti-freeze from the radiant heat system that was installed. But that is just speculation. Also, my grinder is variable speed with a water attachment, designed for use with polishing pads. I'd like to try whatever I can to remove the spots before deciding to replace the tiles.

Last edited by tileguy88; 12-21-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

You would probably need to start with a #400 and work up from there to remove them.I would think 6 to 800 grit would be where you need to be.For honing powder a Eurohone #800 would probably do it.Worst that can happen is you can't match the original hone and you would have to do the whole piece.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
doitright

Hi Brian

The tiles do not need to be replaced. Do you have any scraps from the job?

Start with applying some vinegar to the extra piece of limestone. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, followed by drying off. Compare the severity of this etch with the one that is on your job. If similar, start with a 200 grit sandpaper and practice on your extra piece. You might be able to rub it out by hand or go right to your grinder.

It is imperative that you go as deep as the deepest part of the etch before you move up to the next grit. Follow with overlapping with 400 grit to take out the 200 grit scratches. If you use the sandpaper dry, it will automatically glaze to a higher grit. If you use it wet, it should stay fairly even. 400 may be your stopping point. Pressure, rpm's, feathering, and a watchful eye will determine how successful your blend will come out.

Use caution not to "dish" out the stone. Did I mention to practice first?
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

Old 12-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
tileguy88
Tile Man

Thanks for the replies & advice so far; I've read about a product by Aqua Mix called Knockdown that is a honing powder. It sounds as though it might do the trick. Problem is, I can't seem to find any locally. The tile stores that sell the brand don't stock Knockdown. Any suggestions for a comparable product? Maybe I should try a stone Fab. shop??
Old 12-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
doitright

Hi Brian

You can order similar products through Dupont Stone Tech online.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com