Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-21-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
bob22

THinset working time

First time mixing up thinset from the bag. The last time I used premixed. Any general rule for working time for modified thinset? I'm having a tough time estimating how much water to start with for the amount of dry mix and end up mixing too much thinset.
I have a 50 lb bag with about half left from the Hardibacker installation. What is left should be more than enough for the tile install if I mix it right in smaller batchs; otherwise it will set up too fast and get wasted. To do an area about 3' x 3', how much water to dry mix?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 12-21-2009, 06:03 AM   #2
bbcamp

Bob, the thinset bag has a list of times on it. Working time, pot life, etc. Pot life is how long it stays good in the bucket. Working time is how long you have to get the tile in it's final position before you mess up the bond. These times are considered absolute maximums, so try to leave yourselve some margin.

The bag also says how much water to mix. It may tell you how much to mix for 50 pounds, though. You'll have to measure the thinset by weight and add the correct proportion of water. After you do a couple hundred bags, you'll be able to estimate it by eye, but for now, weigh and measure.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Kman

Remember, if you don't mix enough the first time, you can always mix a little more. But if you mix too much, you can't "un-mix" it.

I have seen the light, and it's orange.
Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com