Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
R_Williams

Taping cement board - time before tiling?

Hi all!

First post, and I am so glad I found this terrific resource. You all have already answered many questions! But one question has been gnawing at me and I've been unable to find it addressed in the Liberry or by searching the forums.

Keeping it brief - I'm doing a bathroom remodel and on the floor I have put down my 1/2" Durock over my 3/4" plywood and now it's time to tape the Durock. How long after I tape and mud the seams before I can go about laying my tile? Can I start right away or do I need to wait 24 hours.

I checked the manufacturers website but no info on this was found.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rick
Old 12-17-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
Kman

There's really no time constraints on it, but you may find the better time to tape the seams is while you're installing the tile. You have less of a chance of the thinset on the seams causing a buildup and therefore a hump in the floor.

One down side to that is that if you have to pull up a tile that spans a seam, it can pull up the tape as well, but you can fix it a lot easier than a dried hump of thinset that you missed the day before.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

What Kevin said. Your thinset and tape doesn't have to be dry before install. Some guys tape as they go so they don't have the speedbump. I like to tape then install because I make sure there are no speedbumps. Either way is good.

Dinsmore Tile L.L.C.
scuttlebuttrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
R_Williams

Thanks! I was hoping you'd say that.

Only 1 real bathroom in the house and I am having a house full of people for the holidays, so an extra day to let the tape set was going to be an extra day of stress (on me).

Thanks again!

Rick

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com