Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
sanjosetiler

Grout for Stainless Wall Tile

Hello All. Your advice has been invaluable in past so I'm back for more.

I'm considering tiling a backsplash with some cool stainless tiles. They are Solistone 9007 Astro. They are not mirror finish stainless, but they certainly aren't matte or brushed either. Closer to the former than the latter. They are a randomish sort of small river rock kind of shape with a flat surface. They have a fair bit of grout between them, the manufacturer says you need to use grout that is acceptable for up to 3/4" joints.

Problem is, I'm afraid that if I use sanded grout I'll scratch the surface of the tile. Manufacturer actually recommends non sanded for the same reason. Is there a recommended grout out there there is non-sanded that can fill joints this wide? Most of the non-sanded grout out there I see is for 1/8 or smaller joints. I'm hoping epoxy grout is not the answer as I have not used it in past and don't really want to try unless I absolutely have to.

Also, any tips for applying grout in an "extra gentle" manner so that I can be as nice as possible to these tiles?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ron
Old 12-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
tilejoe

is it possible to do a test with some sanded grout before installing it?

Infinite Ceramic & Stone
www.infiniteceramic.com
NTCA Pennsylvania State Rep
CTEF Certified Installer #769
tilejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
sanjosetiler

Grout Trial

Not really practical to test first since I want to determine the feasibility before I buy the product. The tile is special order and it is quite expensive ($45 a sq ft.). I need about 10sq ft. so want to make sure I can install it properly before I lay out the money.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
sanjosetiler

But Wait, there's more

I just called the company and spoke with a gentleman who was very helpful and seemed to know what he was doing. He said that in their showroom they have used sanded grout and it has been successful with very careful install techniques. He also said that he gets calls from pros not too infrequently saying they used sanded grout and scratched the tiles.

He said the other option was to use non-sanded with a latex additive to prevent cracking. I think I'd be more comfortable with this option if pros are having trouble with sanded.

Thoughts? Will the non-sanded with latex work or will it more likely crack?

Link to material: http://www.solistone.com/metal.shtml
Old 12-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
hbrothberg

... need to use grout that is acceptable for up to 3/4" joints

Some metal & Stainless Steel tiles don't like Sanded grouts because of a potential scratching issue.

Most "unsanded grouts" ... with or without an additive added ..... are not going to "like" being installed in joints up to 3/4" wide ...!

We have used our SpectraLOCK on "Pebble type" tiles with wide grout joints with great results.

There are several posts here regarding the use of SpectraLOCK on VERY WIDE grout joints.

I have called the Solistone people so that I could obtain more info from them about their tiles. I am waiting for a call back.

Henry
Office: (203) 393-0010 ext 202
Cell: (203) 988-1814

Full Disclosure: I am a 2nd generation Laticrete guy !
Follow my Blog: www.laticrete.blogspot.com
hbrothberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
sanjosetiler

Spectralok

I've read the exhaustive string on here regarding your product and actually I'm not as nervous about using epoxy grout as I once was. However, isn't the dry portion of the mix sand? Even if the grout is the cat's meow for all of the other reasons isn't the sand going to scratch the stainless just like concrete based sanded grout would?

Thanks for looking into this.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com