Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
johnm sr

half wall between shower and tub

I am re-modelling my mst bathroom and decided to put a stub wall between my shower and jetted tub. Fiberglass pan and subway tiled walls for the shower enclosure. The walls around the tub will be tiled as well. There is a window and the other end of the tub which I will tile around also. My plumbing supply is in the half wall so control for the shower and tub will be on opposite sides of the stub wall. I am locating my shower head on the back wall so need to route plumbing for shower head with about 6' of pipe and several elbows.

Are there any issues with the pressure balanced type shower valves when the head is not directly above the valve?

Also I am thinking to cap the stub wall with a piece of granite to match what I already have installed on my sink. Is granite OK in a shower enclosure ? Maybe at least I will need some heavy sealer ?

Also I have framed in a large niche in the shower, what is the best way to water proof ? Before I hang durock or after ? I plan to tile the inside of the niche with smaller glass tiles but am unsure how to frame or transition to the subway tiles. Could I use a piece of granite for the bottom of Niche?

Any advice on the install of the glass shower enclosure as it must also enclose the stub wall?

I will try to post picts of my rough in. Just looking for advice from anyone who has done or seen similar install.

Thanks x 1,000,000
John
johnm sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Mountain Tile
Tile Contractor -- Northeastern PA.

You can waterproof with Redgaurd.
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
tilejoe

Granite is just fine to use inside a shower, but as you said, a good sealer will keep it looking good for a while. You can build the niche out of durock and then apply anyone of the liquid membranes that are specified for a shower. I use granite for niche bottoms frequently.

As far as the plumbing goes, I have seen your set up done a few times. where the controls are on one wall and the heads and sprays are on another. I'm not a plumber, so I can't tell you how to do it, just that I've seen it done.

As far as the glass, I ALWAYS hire a glass company. They do the best work for my customers
Best of luck

Infinite Ceramic & Stone
www.infiniteceramic.com
NTCA Pennsylvania State Rep
CTEF Certified Installer #769
tilejoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
johnm sr

Waterproof over the Durock or behind?
Or both ?
johnm sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
Mountain Tile
Tile Contractor -- Northeastern PA.

I have seen plumbing set up with the valve on one wall and the shower head on another, no problem with that. Membrane on top of durock, not under. Be sure to use cbu mesh tape in the corners and seams where you are water proofing. Water proof the half wall as well, top and side.
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Rob The Glass Man

As Joe said, hire a professional for the shower enclosure. Especially something with a half wall, this is considered a custom door and has to be made to order.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
tilejoe

What Rob and Chuck said.

Infinite Ceramic & Stone
www.infiniteceramic.com
NTCA Pennsylvania State Rep
CTEF Certified Installer #769
tilejoe is online now   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com