Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
stardazy
Stardazy

Tile Setting Mat

I am installing italian design ceramic tile on durarock behind my stove. It's a thick heavy tile which I've cut into 4 pieces because it only came in large tile size and I wanted to use small tiles, and H.D. only carries this tile color in this one size.

Anyway, the sales person talked me into buying a tile setting mat instead of using tile adhesive, which I already had at home. She said the mat is easier to use and will hold the tile in place fine.

The mat is cut to size, stuck to the wall like tape, and the tile is pressed into place on top of it. Then grout can be applied immediately, but only premixed grout, which I bought.

I'm wondering if anyone has used this tile setting mat before, and if it's all that it claims to be, easy to use and strong enough to hold tiles in place.

Or should I take it and the premixed grout back and use the tile adhesive I have along with regular grout? Or maybe some other type of mastic?

Thanks!

Susan
stardazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
i say use thinset and get rid of the bucket and whatever that crap on the sheet is. i have seen it and to me it looks like a guy went wacko withe a glue gun and tried to event something. bad news satan now comes in a sheet form. to me why bother with it do it rite. if that tile is so big and expensive set it in thinset not some crazy glue on a sheet. are you doing the whole splash or just the stove area
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
stardazy
Stardazy

tile setting materials

Thanks for the advice. I thought the same thing.....cut and stick paper? I can't believe it works. Maybe for small thin tiles.

I have my backsplash tiled already. I just have a 5 ft. x 3 ft section to tile from cabinet to doorway behind my stove.

Is there a particular thinset?

I'm sorry I'm so clueless. I paid someone to do my backsplash. They did a great job laying it, but the man that grouted ruined my tile. It is design-type tile and he spread grout over it and didn't clean up much. So I'm doing all future tiling jobs myself.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
use versabond see that you have a home depot where you got the jeanie and the sheet from . not sure if they sell small amounts or not. use white thinset if you are new to tile setting. also if ya could post a picture we like pictures around here
Old 10-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
stardazy
Stardazy

tile pics

Here's a pic of the wall to be tiled and the floor section in my living room that I recently tiled (needs grout):

Name:  stove wall.jpg
Views: 11734
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  living room.jpg
Views: 12079
Size:  45.5 KB
Old 10-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
dgunnels
Veteran Member- S.W. Georgia

Welcome Susan. I agree with Dan, watch out for these miracle products unless they've been used and endorsed by the good folks on this site. I hope your fancy expensive tiles don't end up on the floor later on. When in doubt stick with the tried and true.

"Indecision may or may not be my problem."
dgunnels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
opiethetileman

nice floor by the way. same as the splash ya might want to fill that joint in witht hinset when ya mix it up before ya tile the splash. that floor didnt come from floor and decor did it
Old 10-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
stardazy
Stardazy

hmmm....

Ok, I'm confused. Thinset is the mastic used to adhere tile to durarock, right?

Versabond is a brand of thinset, and I should buy gray thinset for my tile since the tile is dark, right?

Then I wait a few days to a week (to be safe) before I grout my backsplash tile using sanded grout, then another 2 weeks before I seal the grout, right?

I'll post pics of my lovely tile too.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
opiethetileman

versbond is the thiset you need from home depot. its a white green bag 50 lbs. mastic is that tub that looks like a lrge tub of butter
Old 10-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #10
stardazy
Stardazy

pictures of one tile uncut and 2 tiles after being cut up.

Name:  stove wall tile.jpg
Views: 11735
Size:  26.4 KB
Old 10-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
bathroomremodeler

Stardazy,

I believe that the mat from Home Depot you are referring to may be a new product from Custom Building Products (simple mat? or something to that).

It actually has been played/tested with by John Bridge and some of his cohorts. They seemed pretty impressed with the mat, especially for DIY. If it is the same thing, you may want to give it a try.

Or, feel free to go with the other post.
Inspector and IAQ Inspector
bathroomremodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
stardazy
Stardazy

Ok then! Versabond thinset to install tile to wall. And take the tubs back to the store.

I got the floor tile from Builders Warehouse in OKC on 10th and Rockwell, and the brown tile from H.D. I plan to use the floor tile in my dining room and laundry room so I should have lots of tiling experience by the time I'm done.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
stardazy
Stardazy

Yes, it is SimpleMat. So you think it will work good?

The tile I have was only 30 bucks, not as much as my backsplash tile cost. But I only want to do this once, and not have to tear it down, clean it up, and start all over.

I would much rather use the simple mat. Then I could grout today and be done with it. I just find it hard to believe it will hold heavy tile in place vertically.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
opiethetileman

i will throw this out there. a stove produces heat correct and i would want it cemented to the wall not stuck on by silly putty
Old 10-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #15
opiethetileman

that tile looks like medtiran brand from a white box with blue letters correct

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com