Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
icemaker
Jack of All Trades

Shower pan on concrete slab questions

Hi guys,

I've finally stared on my 3rd bath remodel and have ripped out the old plastic shower pan and scrappy tile (it had greenboard behind the tile, but nothing else). I'm going to install cement board on the walls, build a shower pan, et cetera.

However, I ran into a kink, when I ripped out the old shower pan, I found a 20" x 20" hole around the drain pipe (this is on the bottom level, on a concrete slab). I've read a bunch of old posts about what do do and so far I've got the following ideas:

--Drill holes in existing slab up to 2 inches and place rebar to help the new concrete connect to the old.
--Leave up to 1" space around the existing drain (protecting the drain pipe with cardboard) when placing concrete (concrete will be about 4" thick)
--after concrete cures, fill the gap between concrete and drain pipe with deck mud.

Am I on the right track? I added some pics to help y'all shed some light.

Looking forward to your expert advice

Cheers
--John
Attached Images

icemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Sanjuro82

Paint on some concrete bonding agent on the old slab prior to pouring and you should be good to go.

http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines...hesivePro3.asp
Old 10-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
i like using sandmix to fixx thoose holes and had more portland to it. or if you use concrete tap it down good for no rocks to come up to poke anything. hey have ya thought about the KERDI shower system. alot easier than the old way lighter and much faster and the best part its a better invesment in the long run,

also after rereading your post. adding rebar in that small of a space is over kill. just fill it with crete and be done. if that small space moves from what you poured man you are in a hurricane and rebar aint gonna hold it down. be fun to watch your thread grow
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
icemaker
Jack of All Trades

Thanks for the replies guys, I went with concrete (I already had a bag laying around) and used some bonding agent. So far so good.

Opie- I've thought about installing the kerdi, a lot of you guys sure like it, but I've got a lot of stuff left over from my last shower job, so I'll just do it the old fashioned way (plastic, cement board, etc).

I'll try to update as I go along, but I'm really bad at taking pictures and uploading them

-Cheers
John
icemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
well i agree if you have things left over use them. So did ya get the drain fixed up???
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase