Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
tkahn

Baseboard at tile to carpet transition

I'm putting down the last baseboards this afternoon and am at the area where my entry hallway parallels the living room where there will be carpet. The carpet installer said to put the baseboard 3/8" up from the subfloor and that he would then tuck the carpet. The tile/backerboard floor is about 5/8 high. The baseboard is 6" high heavy colonial style trim. Should I just rip 1/4" from the bottom of the baseboard where it travels onto the tile? Will that look right at the tile edge? It only needs to run a few feet until it meets door trim so I can pick it back up untrimmed on the other side of the door.

I have a good tablesaw and good compound miter saw and the skills - what I'm mainly concerned about is the appearance, not my ability to do it.

How is this usually done?
tkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
LGB
Tile Contractor -- Pennsylvania

Yep that's how its done. I'm not a carpenter so do it as you see fit. I've see it scribed and cut with a jig saw before.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
sdaniels7114
Flooring Contractor

You could probably cheat the base up a bit higher on the carpet side too. I'm assuming this is a standard stretch-in over pad type carpet. If you're gluing the carpet down for some reason then disregard what I'm saying. You'll catch 1/4" just from the tackless strip the carpet guy needs to put along the wall, add about 75 to 90% of the thickness of the carpet to that 1/4". You can place your base that far above the subfloor and still end up with a nice full edge that the carpet guy will easily be able to tuck in. If the carpet's thick enough you may not have to notch at all.

Steve D
sdaniels7114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

I leave my base in place and cut it with my Crain undercut saw.
I raise it to the thinckness of the tile & underlayment and then add an 1/8".

I only remove base on occasion but you want the tops of all your wood base to be level for sure.

..................Check out our Blog
Florida Installer of Laticrete HydroBan & HydroBarrier
....Florida Installer of Schluter Kerdi & Kerdi-Board
................."Waterproofed Tile Showers"
........Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com