Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-27-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
tomcat22

Drilling holes in tile for closet flange attachment

OK, so I finished my tiling and grouting and sealed the grout. I'm now ready to mount my closet flange. What is the standard method? Dry fit flange, mark holes to drill in tile, remove flange, drill holes, then glue in flange (being oh so carefull to align the holes in the flange with the newly drilled holes in tile)? Or do you glue in the flange first?

Also, what's the best drill bit for someone who only plans to do this once? I don't want to spend a fortune on the bit, but I also don't want to spend hours drilling four holes.

Thanks.
tomcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2009, 06:06 AM   #2
bbcamp

Hindsight being 20/20, you might have saved yourself some work by notching the tiles for the screws. If you have an angle grinder and diamond blade, you could still make the notches with the tiles in place.

Otherwise, use a diamond tipped drill bit. Build a dike around the hole location with plumber's putty to contain some water to cool the bit. Take your time. You won't have any problems aligning the holes. Place some painter's tape on the tile next to the edge of the flange. Make a alignment mark on the edge of the flange and the tape. When you install the flange, start it in about 45 to 90 degrees off the mark and rotate it as you push down. Stop rotating when the marks align, then check the holes for any final adjustment. You need to work quickly, but not hurridly, since the glue will set pretty fast.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
tomcat22

Thanks. I knew about the keeping it saturated with water. A related question:

Should I drill all 4 holes for the closet flang, or is two enough? I can orient the flange such that one bolt hole is aligned with grout - should I do that and drill through the grout (should be much easier)?

Last edited by tomcat22; 08-27-2009 at 11:59 AM.
tomcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
bbcamp

I'd drill all four unless there was a compelling reason to drill only two, and those two would be on the sides of the toilet, not front and back. The toilet needs most support to keep it from tipping to the sides.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com