Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 08-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
bigfoot17

Wood Stain For grout?

My grout is too light.I do not want to use a grout "paint" colorant.I have tried a sample of Minwax wood stain on a test piece and like the results.The grout absorbed the stain and dried to a nice color.What problems would I have if I used this stain on my new grout?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:44 AM   #2
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Mark

If your TEST reveals good results, you shouldn't have any problems. MinWax stains are also used with stone fabricators trying to blend light edges of various stones that have been resined.

On your TEST section you may want to TEST a solvent based impregnator to protect your grout. Make sure you allow the solvent carriers to dry out of the stain first (before applying the impregnator).
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
I think the title of your thread answers your question. I have never heard
of anyone doing this because that stain is made for wood, but hey if you tested it and it gives you the results your looking for, go for it. I can't say if you are gonna have any problems in the future once you seal over it, cause its made for wood.

or you can try a product called enhancer which will darken your grout and is a grout friendly product. Its commonly put on natural stone to enrich and darken it.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile
CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA

jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
bigfoot17

John;
Thanks for the help.Doesn't the stain already have a sealer added? Is the impregnater something different?
Old 08-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
doitright

Hi Mark

Yes it does have oils in it that will repel water, but I don't know for how long.

If you stain a piece of wood, the stain absorbs and drys. Afterward you follow with some type of coating to protect the wood from wear and moisture. I have seen wood floors that the coating has worn through and the floor starts to turn black. The stain did not remain effective after the coating was worn.

I'm applying the same thought process to grout. While the grout won't wear like wood, the stain may break down with exposure to various cleaning products and water. I'm not a chemist, so I'm only guessing. If you really want a solid answer call the Tech line at MinWax.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

Old 08-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
bigfoot17

I had e-mailed Minwax and they are hesitant to make claims for anything other than wood.Which I understand.But one tech did say that I should probably seal after staining.His exact words were.

"Thanks for writing back. Since grout is not a tested substrate I can't say
for sure that there are any negatives. We are a Wood Care Group and test
accordingly. If you are happy with the results of the color then I would
recommend sealing the grout. Leaving the stain as is could allow it to
trap moisture and turn white."

So I think I will stain and seal.

Thanks for the input.It helps to have more than one opinion.That way I can blame someone else.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
doitright

Hi Mark

I know nothing!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Quote:
I do not want to use a grout "paint" colorant.
Why not?
Old 08-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
bigfoot17

Colorant is expensive.I have also heard that it is a PITA to apply.Some even say that you have to redo it periodically. It almost seems like paint and not a stain.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Don't know what is expensive to you,but you can get a very small bottle for less than $20 and it will do half a house,last for years,not allow grout to get stained and only take a day to do.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
bigfoot17

I have 200 sq. ft..When I called Mapei about the color,they rushed me 2 bottles of colorant.It is too light and I don't want to use it.I was going to buy a darker color,but I thought I would need 2 bottles.I tried a dab of the colorant(Nugrout) on a sample area and it seems like it is just expensive paint.When I applied the wood stain it soaked into the grout and gave me a darker color.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
doitright

Hi Mark

I think you have a neat idea if it works. Aqua Mix Grout Colorant is my favorite. They will match most manufacturers grout colors. I've been using it for over 25 years without any problems. The longevity can be at least eight years with minimal touch ups only.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #13
ob1kanobee

If you do use the wood stain, post some before and after pictures. i would be curious to see the uniformity in color. Then maybe some more in say six months.

I think no doubt you can stain it but I don't think it will be sealed but I'm no chemist either.

Your floor can be the guinea pig

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #14
MDS

If you just want a stain, at least use a transparent concrete stain, not a wood stain. The alkalinity in the grout may slowly react with the pigments in the wood stain and darken over time. Non-uniformly, I might add.

Even concrete stains will not always strike uniformly. On brand new grout it usually works well if there was not any batch-to-batch screw ups on the grout. But only if you want to darken the grout. Then be sure to use a compatible sealer after the stain because the stain does little to protect the grout from soaking up spills.

ColorSeal evolved for a reason. You are not the first to try wood stains. If you don't like the look of a solid color sealer, that's fine, but don't consider a good color seal product an "overpriced paint". They serve a useful purpose in our industry.
MDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com