Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-26-2001, 10:32 PM   #1
GlenFlowers

Question

Anybody heard of Henry 547 Unipro Universal Underlayment?
It's all they had at Home Depot... Will it work OK as a SLC on 3/4 TnG subfloor? They also sell a laatex additive for it which i did NOT buy. Should I?

Rob, (and friends), good beer and wings Thu night. Although that nut brown ale was kind of a let down after all that delicious Dominion fresh-brew.

Glen
Old 10-26-2001, 10:46 PM   #2
Rob Z

Hi Glen

Is that Henry product a feather finish ? If so, it is not to be used as a self leveling compound. It will need to be applied with a trowel and possibly screeded off with a straightedge.

The two feather patches I have used with success are Ardex's and Bonsal's.

Tell us what is written on the label of the Henry (not word for word, just enough so we can figger out what the product is).

I would use the latex additive, especially over the plywood subfloor.

Z
Old 10-27-2001, 06:36 AM   #3
GlenFlowers

Arrow

label say: patch, underlayment or embossing leveler...use for patching skim coating an leveling...bonds to ... wood substrates...

maybe i should take it back though and head over to morris tile for a feather finish?
Old 10-27-2001, 08:28 AM   #4
Rob Z

Glen

That is a feather patch, and that is the one I used a couple years back when I was out of Ardex. I think I still have the rest of the bottle of latex, too.

It will work just fine. You'll need to get some trowels and straightedges. Get a couple of straight 1 x 4's at Home Cheapo. Did you look at trowels at Conestoga?

Rob
Old 10-27-2001, 12:21 PM   #5
GlenFlowers

Thumbs up

That's good news rob! Morris doesn't carry any feather patch. I bought a couple trowels yesterday at conestoga. Brian got me a v-notch and a 1/4 x 3/8 square-notch. I've been using a carpeter's square for a straight edge. Pardon my ignorance, but what will I need to do with those 1 x 4's?
Also looked at some 2x2 green slate-colored tiles for the entry-hall border with help from Brian. This morning, Lauren and I looked at some 1" patterns for the powder room. Want to compare next week with solutions at conestoga.

My girls were a big help last night working on the subfloor pre: scraping, sanding and sweeping, pounding down nailheads... They actually increase my productivity by about 30%!!!

I'm headed down to the northern neck for the rest of the weekend. The floow will have to wait til I get back.

cheers...
Glen
Old 10-27-2001, 03:31 PM   #6
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

What's the "Vee" notched trowel for?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 04:20 PM   #7
Rob Z

Bud

The V notch is used to install the Ditra.

Glen

I suggested the use of 1 x4's since you don't have any straightedges. They will help with alignment of tile, but most importantly, they will help you fill in the low spots with the feather patch.

Z
Old 10-27-2001, 06:40 PM   #8
Ron
Toronto Tile Guy

Hi Glen,

Once you have chosen the tiles,you'll have to let us know what type of tile and the size.The trowel that you've purchased is fine for most 12" tiles but not for 24x24" tiles.Also some techniques differ with certain tiles.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 11:47 PM   #9
SGT

Exclamation

You won't be able to use the ditra if you are using 2" x 2" tile! I don't remember what the smallest recommended tile was for the ditra. Anyone else know?
SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 05:43 AM   #10
Rob Z

Sarge

Good call! I didn't catch that. Glen, Sarge has pointed out that Ditra should have minimum 4" tile set over it. The 2" and 1" tile are a no-go over Ditra.

Old 10-29-2001, 11:05 AM   #11
GlenFlowers

Red face It's always something...

OK now I'm getting frustrated. Just when I thought I was getting it all figured out! I already have the field tiles which are 13". Also already have 232 SF of ditra. What risks am I running if I break the rules and put the 2" border tiles over DITRA along the 20' enrty hall? And 1" mesh-backed pattern tile over DITRA in the 3' x 5' powder room?

Glen

Old 10-29-2001, 11:17 AM   #12
Bud Cline

Now I have a question!

Not too long ago someone here (Bri maybe) had installed DITRA and for some reason "skim coated" the DITRA surface. This would fill the surface voids in the DITRA and serve to smooth the surface.

Why couldn't this be done in this case?

I guess I'm not understanding why 2" (matted) tile can't be installed on DITRA. As long as the skim coat is modified thinset and then again the tile is installed with modified thinset. What's the problem?

Also this 2" tile is a feature (border) in this application, it's not as if the entire floor was to be 2" tile. The same would apply to a [matted 1"] tile I would think.

Someone please enlighten me!
Old 10-29-2001, 12:04 PM   #13
GlenFlowers

Man Bud, I hope you're right! It would really hurt to have to go back to the drawing board at this point--and I DON'T like pain
Hey guys, try to agree with Bud on this, alright?
...but only if you're telling the truth...
Old 10-29-2001, 12:18 PM   #14
Bud Cline

I'm sure as we all grow in the tile business everyone here could (if they would) admit to doing a few things that would cause the Tile Police to get out their citation book and start writing.

I'm not seeing where a skim coat of the DITRA would make a great deal of difference. It would create (techincally) a needles joint in the adhesive application but I see no difference in this and going over patchwork on a concrete floor for example.

But, I'm also not understanding why DITRA is limited to being covered with a 4" or larger tile. The DITRA surface is technically smooth at the surface if you ignore the existance of the dovetailed voids. The voids are small enough that I wouldn't think their existance would interfere
with 2" tile. In fact I really don't see the need for the skim coat for that matter.

A whole lot of my work is remodelling and in remodelling "field judgement calls" are made frequently. It would be great to do absolutely everything "by the book". But can you do it without "breaking the bank"?

Most of these guys have more experience with DITRA than I do so let's see what they have to offer.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:48 PM   #15
Bud Cline

I see you out there Dave...what do you say?

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com