Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 08-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
Raymondo

Best/favorite food grade sealer for stone tops at a restaurant?

What would you guys use for sealing stone tops going in a restaurant? Must be rated to use in a food prep/kitchen envoronment.

www.barefoot-tile.com
Raymondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Casey i though for sure somebody would answer this for ya.Anyway,i think any well known sealer is fine,as long as it doesn't say it ISN"t good for food prep areas.Typically though certain granites are used in kitchens that are hard and dense enough they don't need a sealer,what kinda stone you got?

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
MDS

I didn't think any stones were approved for direct food contact anymore.

I don't believe there is an approval process for stone sealers in direct food contact, so I don't think you will find one. It would have to be an FDA approval, not the USDA. The latter would be for incidental contact, like on a floor or wall not prep areas like a counter top.

Last edited by MDS; 08-18-2009 at 05:20 AM. Reason: spelling
MDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
GraniteGirl
Ms. Makita

Send a message via Yahoo to GraniteGirl
What stone do you have there? Some do not even need sealer.

Edit: It really irks me that the govt has issues with stone as food surface, yet they have no qualms using a plastic product impregnated with a pesticide - Microban - in places such as food service areas, hospitals and child care facilities.

www.IslandSoapstone.com

Relax - it's a rock! What could go wrong?!

Last edited by GraniteGirl; 08-18-2009 at 09:22 AM.
GraniteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
Stone Dude

Stone is ranked 2nd (behind stainless steel) for resistance to bacteria, perfectly acceptable for food surfaces.

Surface Treatment Technologies has proven to be one of the best sealers available. They also have an optional second application FE (fast evaporative) that will give the sealer a lifetime gaurantee against staining. you dont have to be a "certified" applicator.

I have Columbo Gold granite in my kitchen, the most porous granite available. 2 coats of the normal SB sealer and one application of FE. I left a pizza box, olive oil, fruit, wine and strawberries overnight to test it out. wiped everything up about 10 hours later, no penetration.

Also we are talking about impregnating sealers here. "sub-surface", technically they wont really actually come in contact with the food.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:50 AM   #6
MDS

I have seen the people selling artificial stone materials claim that granite is not FDA or USDA approved for food prep surfaces. Maybe they are lying but since "granite" can be darn near anything these days it might make sense. I don't think I want my food laying around some piece of stone from China that was doctored with god-knows-what type of chemicals. Though I think the issue is with porosity and pits.

I found this sealer that claims FDA for granite. Sounds like an epoxy which is pretty easy to formulate to clear NSF & FDA.

Pretty sure I wouldn't like an epoxy coating on my granite. Unless this is just some cheap, ugly fix when the inspector comes out and cites you for non-compliant surface.
MDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
Raymondo

Thanks for the responses. The stone is Indiana limestone, which is extremely porous (and soft). Cameron, that sealer you mention sounds great. I have a catalog from Helix and they sell it. I noticed that the FE is about $1500 per gallon!!! How much of that do you think you'd need for 20 sq ft top?

www.barefoot-tile.com
Raymondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
GraniteGirl
Ms. Makita

Send a message via Yahoo to GraniteGirl
Who spec'ed limestone for a top in a busy restaurant?!

Oh boy

The STT sealers are great stuff and have to be used as a kit - SB first and then the FE. You probably would need a lot more SB than FE, but a gallon would be serious overkill for your application.

No sealer, no matter how great, will change the softness of the stone or its proneness to etching, though. Those characteristics can not be sealed away.

Edit: See if you can get a hold of TYW's own Steven Hauser. He is the chemical guru behind the STT line of sealers (and other products) and he will be able to help you with your questions.

www.IslandSoapstone.com

Relax - it's a rock! What could go wrong?!

Last edited by GraniteGirl; 08-25-2009 at 08:34 AM.
GraniteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com