Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-08-2003, 10:54 AM   #1
tripdaddy

Question Best Thin-set choice for Porcelain floor tiles

I am just about to begin my floor installation. I am using porcelain tiles (12 x 12, 12 x 6, and 6 x 6 sizes). My question is on the thin-set. (I used Versabond for my backsplash as their specs say that this is an option for porcelain wall tiles. However, it makes no mention of being OK for porcelain floor tiles.)

Will this brand work? Or should I consider another thin-set?

Also, I read somewhere that for large floor tiles, you should use a 3/8 x 3/8 trowel. Is this what you guys recommend?

Thanks
Old 09-08-2003, 05:49 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Steve,

Versa Bond is a good choice. The 3/8 by 3/8 would be a bit large for me. I would use either a 1/4 by 1/4 if the backs of the tiles are fairly flat, or a 1/4 by 3/8 if they're not.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:27 PM   #3
tripdaddy

Thanks John,

The backs of the tiles are not very flat. They look like they have a pattern similar to the pattern I will use on the floor. I can best describe them as looking like floor tile on the back with the grout portion being the raised part.....if that makes sense. The lower portions range from 1 inch by 1 inch to 1 inch by 2 inches.

These are the same that I used for a bar (although I only used 6 x 6s for the bar). I used a 1/4 by 1/4 v-notch for the bar and coverage was not very good. Granted it was a v-notch, I was a little worried about the coverage for the floor. I have a 1/4 by 3/8 square notch for the floor. I will do a trial with it.

The tiles I am using are Casa Dolce Casa - Terra Rosa. Real pretty irregular shaped tiles.....are you familiar?

What is your opinion of the Versabond vs. Flexbond?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2003, 08:55 AM   #4
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

I am not as familiar with custums thinsets as others but it seems to me the flexbond is a bit more expensive with a differant polymer addative to it.It would be considered a premium modified thinset.No reason not to use it,but if John is reccomending versabond,you can be assured the flexbond is just overkill.
If you are setting on a concrete flor stick with the versabond.If you are setting on a Plywood substrate with concrete board attached.The flexbond couldnt hurt.thats my opinion and i'm stickin to it
Flexbond is comparable to Mapei's ultraflex 2 which i use quite often.In fact the only other regular thinset i stock is Keralastic.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:30 AM   #5
tripdaddy

I am on a slab....

Let me ask this: On the versabond spec sheet is says for impervious (sp?) percelain tiles.....how do I know if I have impervious tiles or not?
Old 09-09-2003, 09:43 AM   #6
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

It wont matter. If its good enough for impervious porcelain, its good enough for any tile that is porous.The slab is the reason john reccomended the versabond. flexbond is just overkill and he's trying to save you a buck
Old 09-09-2003, 12:04 PM   #7
tripdaddy

Thanks

Next question:

I will be tiling a kitchen and dining room that are separated by a doorway. The kitchen is roughly 10 x 10 and the dining is roughly 13 x 12. I have read some posts here about expansion joints. My layout is a pattern of 12 x 12s, 12 x 6s and 6 x 6s. So there will be no straight lines that run any distance. Do I need an expansion joint in my situation? (concrete slab, essentially two different rooms connected by a doorway and the longest run being about 25 feet......two room combined)
Old 09-09-2003, 12:20 PM   #8
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

I wouldnt wory about an expansion joint in your case.I would be certain to leave a 1/4" expansion around the perimeter of the floor.in our case the floor is already broken up and only the doorway is a solid run.leave the 1/4" perimeter and you will be just fine.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:58 PM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

25 feet is pushing it. I'd figure a way for a joint going though the doorway.

Versa Bond is fine.

Post a bigger picture of those trips.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:28 PM   #10
tripdaddy

How would you suggest making a joint in the doorway with a pattern. I hate to break the pattern. Does it have to be a straight line?

Here is a larger picture of my boys....BTW this ugly brown tile by the door is coming out......this is part of the project.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2003, 07:32 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Steve, nice looking bunch of helpers you have there.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:41 PM   #12
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Versabond is good, C-Flex is better, Flexbond is best.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:44 PM   #13
Nikol

Versa and Flex Bond

Someone please educate me...what is the difference between Versa Bond and FlexiBond. Does Flexi offer protection from movement, as the name may imply?

Those three little guys are heart breakers!

Nikol
Nikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 07:07 AM   #14
tripdaddy

"Steve, nice looking bunch of helpers you have there."

Thanks....they do want to "help" a lot which makes getting the job done ssssllllllooooowwwwww. Fortunately the kitchen job I am working on is off-limits for them by gates. UNfortunately, when I start the floor job, it is going to get ugly I think.

Just on a side note....it is funny how kids (boys maybe especially) imitate their dads. I have been tearing up my house with remodel and they are "learning the trade." They have some little plastic tools and are constantly using them to saw and hammer on some of the work that I have done. They aren't doing any damage, and it is sure fun to watch.

Sorry....I'll move back to my tiling discusion......
Old 09-10-2003, 05:07 PM   #15
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Steve, we can talk about tile anytime. Those boys are your salvation. Just keep increasing the tech level of the tools you give them until you get them up to a grout float.

Flex Bond is top of the line Custom Building Products thin set. It will stick to glass, among other things.

Versa Bond is a step downward, but it is very good and more than adequate for most jobs.

Flexilble thin set does offer a bit of movement control, but not so you would notice. If you get a crack in the slab or the substrate, you'll get a crack in the tile or grout. The "flex" is better equated to how well the mortar "clings" to the tiles and the substrate.

I can only say I use Versa Bond for most things. If I want to install new tiles over old tiles, I'll consider Flex Bond.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com