Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Jon&Ollie

Thinset, AdMix, & Trowel Size

I'm about to go help a buddy install some 12" x 24" ceramic floor tile in a bathroom, and want to make sure we're off on the right foot. Have read through lots of postings this week - very helpful, and great reminders. We'll spend some extra time on reinforcing/replacing/flattening the subfloor, thanks to all of the postings about that.

I've installed several floors, but the largest tile I've used is 8" x 8". What size trowel should we use for 12" x 24"?

Similar question about thinset... Do we need one of the more pricey ones? At the HD, options are:

CustomBlend: $5
VersaBond: $14
FlexBond: $27

And 2.5 gallons of AdMix for $20.

We're going with plywood/mortar/hardibacker/mortar/ceramic tile.

Cheap stuff for the hardibacker embedding, Versa or Flex (with AdMix?) for laying the tiles?

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
bbcamp

Jon, assuming your joists and subfloor are OK for tile, I'd use Versabond to set the backerboard, then Custom's Granite and Marble mortar using a 1/2" square notch trowel. If your floor and tile backs are very flat, you could use a 1/4 x 3/8 x 1/4 square notch trowel and Versabond. None of the mortars I listed need the admix. Don't be tempted to use it anyway, it may make a good modified mortar act differently than intended.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
jgleason
Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Customblend will be ok to set the backer board. Use either Versabond or Flexbond to set the tiles. No need for the admix, both Versabond and Flexbond are modified already. There is also a Premium Versabond somewhere in between those two for costs.

For that size tile, probably a 1/2x1/2 trowel. Don't forget to backbutter each tile and check a couple after setting to see if you have full coverage.

That size tile, I hope your floor is very flat!

(I see Bob is beating me to the answers each time!)
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com