Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-17-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
Nikita

Quick fix for leaking shower tiles?

I own an older home (built in the 40s) with a tile bathroom. We've just taken possession this month.
We notice a small amount of water on our dryer which is just below our bathroom. After some "sleuthing" my husband and I have discovered that when we shower and water gets on the tiles in the bathroom shower/tub, the water leaks straight down into the basement.

We did plan to gut and redo this bathroom in the next few years but weren't expecting it so soon. We can still use the bathtub without leaks and we have another shower.

I think this tile must be at least 40 years old so I imagine the grout has just worn down and has holes in it. Water damage is minimal as it's only a small amount, but enough that we need to prevent it from happening anymore or else we could face a larger problem in time. I discovered the leak by spraying the shower nozzel right onto the tiles that looked more worn and my husband watched for the leak downstairs.

What I'm wondering is, is there a quick fix to prevent the water from going through the tile? Can I put more grout over the tile as a "bandaid" solution? Any suggestions are appreciated! I realize that the obvious answer is to tear it out and redo it, but it's just not in the budget right now...

Thanks!~
Niki
Old 07-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Niki.

Water getting past your tile surface in the shower is not a problem. Indeed, it's quite normal. That's why we always provide a waterproof liner to direct such water to the drain in a properly constructed shower. Look in the Shower Construction section of our whirl-famous Liberry to see how showers are constructed and you'll have a bit better insight into what you've got. The liner material may be much different in your shower, but the concept will be the same.

Water leaking beyond this liner is a problem. Your liner has failed for one reason or another, which is not too surprising given its age.

The fix? Plan to do the replacement of this shower a bit sooner than you anticipated. Very unlikely you can do any sort of repair without replacing at least the lower foot or so of the shower, and it's equally unlikely the part above that is worth saving if you're going to the trouble to replace the bottom.

My opinion; worth price charge.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com