Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
sunkid

How thin can I mud a wall?

This may be a bit of a stupid question, but I am wondering how thin I can apply mud to a cement wall to even out any holes? Is mud even the best material to use over concrete?

Please don't let the fact that this is a jacuzzi wall deter you from giving me an answer that applies to a shower wall Basically, I chipped away old plaster and some rust stains that I will patch with concrete. However, the walls, seats, and floor are heavily pock-marked from the chipping and I want to add a layer of mud to even and straighten them out. On two of the walls, I will have my 1" glass tiles butt up against my waterline tile, which is a little thicker. I want to make up the difference in thickness with mud as well, but not have the glass tile sit higher in the end due to the mud bed. Since these two walls are contiguous with the pool wall, I also cannot raise the waterline tile mud bed much, if at all.

Well, this is me standing at the wailing wall, looking like a moron with my harpoon.
-- Emo Philips
sunkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

You talking little holes that need filled or do you need to correct some plumb issue? out of plane issue?

Dinsmore Tile L.L.C.
scuttlebuttrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
sunkid

The holes that are up to 1/2" or so deep, and I don't think that there are any issues with out of plumb or not straight on the two walls where I have the thickness restriction. The surface of the wall looks like a moonscape, basically. Chipping off the plaster has left many holes from the chisel, but they are not very deep.

On the seats and stairs as well as the two walls separating the jacuzzi from the pool, I could add some amount of thickness without the complication of the waterline to glass tile transition.

Well, this is me standing at the wailing wall, looking like a moron with my harpoon.
-- Emo Philips
Old 05-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

This is the gunite face or the already mudded face,if it's gunite the fat mud won't have a problem sticking,if it's smooth plastered mud the new mud won't stick and you need to use a slurry of wet portland scratched into the surface with a stiff brush before adding mud.)i'm assuming this is underwater and bonding agent will not workIf it's the pock marks you are talking about just filling i would use medium thinset.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
sunkid

Yes, it's the bare gunite wall. I am thinking that I will need to add maybe a 1/8" to a 1/4" of thickness.

Bonding agent = "milk"? And don't use it for under water applications?

-- Emo Philips
Old 06-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
sunkid

Done & thank you!!!

Well, in the short span of 11 months I have gone from this:

to this:

None of the walls in that %$*%@* hole were straight, but it all turned out OK!

Thanks for all the help as always!

-- Emo Philips

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com