Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
joseortalejo
16" porcelain

Send a message via Yahoo to joseortalejo
round hearth on fireplace!!!!

I am working on the hearth of my fireplace......i redid it, of course with brick, and took it from being square to being round. Along the back, which is the face of the fireplace it measures 79 1/2" in long, in the center, the furthest point goes out only 20", and is 15" tall. I will be putting tile on the face of this hearth, the 15" tall part. On the top of the hearth I am putting plywood down, then I will put backerboard on top of that to attach tile to. The problem I am having is how to make a smooth circular cut on the tile. The cut edge will be exposed along the front of the cirular hearth....I'm at wits end trying to figure this out, can someone help with this!!! Please let me know I know I can cut the tile with a wet saw that I have to get it close, but I want a nice finish edge look around the hearth, any comments are greatly appreciated.......
joseortalejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2009, 04:59 AM   #2
bbcamp

Welcome, Jose! (It is Jose, right?)

If your tiles are through body colored, you can rough cut them on your tile saw, then grind the round shape with a hand-held grinder, folowed by a final shaping with a sanding pad. However, if you have tiles on the veritical face, these will create a faceted effect, basically an approximation of a curve with straight lines. You can match those lines with your top tiles, making it much easier since you can do the cuts with your saw.

Let me suggest you skip the plywood and backerboard. Fill any cavities in the hearth extension with masonry and brick mortar, then screed brick mortar over the top surface to flatten it and make it ready for tile. After that sets up, tile with thinset.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
joseortalejo
16" porcelain

Send a message via Yahoo to joseortalejo
Thumbs up thanks bb

bb,
I took your advice and left out the plywood and also screeded mortar on top of the brick. I used the backerboard, because I ran out of brick and ended up just having a row of bricks around the front, in the middle, and one along the back length. I thinsetted the cement board and tiled on top. I decided to cut my vertical tiles to where the edge of the top ones and the vertical ones would leave an inverted corner, i'll fill that with grout and just mold it to give it a kind of round look. I think that's what you had said about the vertical tiles. Thanks for the help, all the hard part is done, now is just grouting. I'll post some pics after I get it grouted and sealed so you can see how much your help actually does help. thanks again,

jose
joseortalejo is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com