Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 03-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

grout boost

Has anybody ever heard of grout boost. Some people at a tile store sold it to my aunt and uncle and told them to mix their grout with it, and no water. It is supposedly going to make it where they never have to seal. I have never heard of it and was wondering if it is any good or just a rip off. They bought tec grout.

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Stealthfox
Flooring Contractor

just started using it here locally, i don't know how long its been available but its a good product imo...helps grout color, the cleanup is not any tougher than grout mixed with water, and its supposed to have the sealer mixed right in, so a big selling point for your customers right there

Rick Brower - Flooring Contractor
Stealthfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
ridgerunner

Have you done any stain test yet ?? What type of results have you gotten ?
Old 03-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Levi the Tile Guy

No it's my aunt and uncle. they live in a different town and went and picked out tile a few days ago and the guy sold them this and grout. I was just talking to them about what they bought, and they told me. I was just curious if it was a good product or not.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
sandbagger

funny you should mention this. When my wife went to the Tec store to pick up some thinset she asked about the grout, specifically if they carried the TEC epoxy (since Spectralock is getting hard to find here). No, don't carry it, but we have this great stuff called Grout Boost you just mix with regular old Portland.

Was this by any chance a "World of Tile" store? I'm thinkin' maybe they've done a deal with Grout Boost to push it over the other Tec products.

btw - did you price this stuff? You're going to add $100 to the cost of a 25-lb bag. I thought about it, realized I still had plenty of Bulletproof, and decided I had plenty of other stuff to spend a hunnert bucks on.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Levi the Tile Guy

Quote:
did you price this stuff? You're going to add $100 to the cost of a 25-lb bag.

They bought a small size one for $40 to mix with a 10 pound box of grout, but if they truly don't ever have to seal they are happy with that price. But yeah it was a world of tile store they bought it from. As far as customers go I charge to seal so if they want this stuff they would obviously pay for it, and prolly save some money anyway. I guess I'm just not convinced, a product that makes it where you never have to seal. That's why I wanted some input to see if it has actually worked for anybody.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #7
ridgerunner

I seen product like this before and none of them lived up to the claims. So I would be careful of this.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Levi the Tile Guy

I ended up grouting there shower for them. I can say I didn't like working with the stuff at all, I can't comment on if it worked or not yet, I haven't talked to them after the plumbing trim and glass were installed.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:13 AM   #9
ccarlisle

The advantage of a sealer applied after grouting is that the active ingredients are applied in direct comparison with where the water comes from in the first place i.e. from the top of the grout line down.

If you mix the sealer into the grout, it seals, technically, parts that don't need it. Like the bottom. There's no concentration gradient there...although strictly speaking, technically that may be a moot point. But since surface tension is involved, it would add up that surface-applied sealers are a better bet.

Overall conclusion? won't work as well...Similar to the marketing geniuses who came up with laundry detergent+fabric softener combinations in one product. Neither detergent nor softener worked well because in that case, they chemically cancelled each other out. But gullible consumers bought a $half-a-billion worth, but funny you don't see them any more.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #10
bljack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger
I'm thinkin' maybe they've done a deal with Grout Boost to push it over the other Tec products.
Grout boost is made by HB Fuller, parent company of Tec Specialty. I used it a couple of times and also have a bottle in the van for Monday. I much rather work with the accucolor xt or Permacolor grouts, but I'd rather work with Boost than epoxy.

It was explained to me as more of a liquid version of the magic stuff used in the xt's, permacolors and Prisms, than as a sealer being mixed in. Almost painfully stiff to work, almost like grouting with deck mud but cleans up like any other grout. 20 year warranty against both water and oil based stains and no return trip in few days.

I first used it on a kitchen floor back in August and was just back there on Wed. repointing a few brick steps and re securing their metal rail and the grout looks the same now as it did when I finished.

The tough thing about boost or XT for some people is don't get it wet for the first 10 days of curing.

Off topic, but I used one of tec's new silicones two weeks ago and I never thought I'd use "easy" and "silicone" in the same sentence, but Tec's silicone was actually easy to work with, tooled like a dream and didn't slump in joints.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
Rkeister

Yes, Grout boost is produced by Specialty Construction Brands , parent company of Tec. However, you may use the grout boost with anyones portland cement grout.
Rkeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #12
EastCoastTecRep

Quote:
Almost painfully stiff to work, almost like grouting with deck mud but cleans up like any other grout.
Just a quick note, bljack. Since you can use Grout Boost with any manufacturer's Standard Portland Cement Grout (that doesn't already claim stain resistance) some grouts will mix a bit stiffer than others when you add the full bottle of Boost. On the back of each bottle it tells you how many ounces of clean water you can add AFTER using all the Boost. This may help loosen it a bit closer to what you are used to.

The 1,000 year problem: Grout manufacturers want their grout mixed stiff (per water requirements on bag) so that they maintain color consistency and strength. Installers want to mix grout loose so that it is easier to float and doesn't require time consuming "packing" of joints. So it goes to reason that the amount of Grout Boost that gets premeasured into the bottles is slightly less liquid than most installers are used to using.
EastCoastTecRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
linwood851

Smile grout once

my tile guys have tried all the sealers and additives including grout boost, they found it to be a little hard to work with and gloppy, we came across grout once at the coverings show, i used it in my own home and i love it, we have been using it for about 2 years now and have had no complaints, it is an add mix, you use it instead of water. it is a water based product so it is "green" and my customers are eating that up, my guys love it because it is easy to use, it does not contain any laytex, silicone or acrylic. they recently came out with a no brainer package in that you take it and mix it with the 25 pounder so no measuring or anything which i love, you know how it is with new guys. i am telling you this is the real deal
Old 12-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #14
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Rebecca, Welcome!

I'm a little confused. Is the product that you're referring to called "Grout Once"?
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #15
tileguynky
Tile Contractor Central Ky Area

The local TEC dealer here has a sign for Grout Boost. Yet, it is not being pushed real hard. Seems one of the guys that work at the store has a side business doing cleaning/sealing of grout. Hmm, conflict of interest??? Oh well, that store is a little funny anyways.

Nothing here, move along...
tileguynky is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com