Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
msenkpiel

Grout Mixed with Sealant

Hi,

A guy at a tile store told me about a sealant that could be mixed with the grout instead of water. I thought about it later when buying grout and sealer, but couldn't find any info on it.

Has anyone ever heard of some such and if so, recommend it?

Then I thought, why not just mix regular sealer with the grout instead of water? Is this a really bad idea? What might be the fallout from such bold ignorance?

Thanks,
Mike
msenkpiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
bbcamp

Read the bottle and bag of the products you intend to use. I'll wager you'll not find this kind of instruction from the manufacturers. There are a number of reasons for this, among them, they won't know whose products you intend to mix and match, unless it's theirs, and portland cement based grout needs water to hydrate. Sealers would mess with this important chemical reaction.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
astrojeff

Bob is absolutely right. Cement products cure via a chemical reaction with water. Anything you mix in that is not specifically approved for mixing with uncured grout should not be added! Especially non-water based things, such as most sealers. There are some types of latex admixtures that work fine to mix in with grout, as latex is water based. Those do have certain "sealing" properties for the final cured grout, but I have heard that they give inconsistent results, and I have never used them.

Just about anything that typically requires multiple steps is like that for a reason, and any "single-step" miracle compound is almost universally inferior (e.g. Shampoo + conditioner in one, or stain and varnish combined...etc.). Otherwise, nobody would buy multiple step compounds in the first place.

Grout, cure, then seal. Or use an epoxy grout, such as Spectralock, which is basically a plastic-like base that never needs sealer. But you pay a lot more for it.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Saldibs
Tile Contractor -- Boston North Shore

Send a message via ICQ to Saldibs
Quote:
A guy at a tile store told me about a sealant that could be mixed with the grout instead of water
The Guy at the store may have been referring to a grout additive called 'Boost" which you use instead of water.
You can only choose one!

elitetileco.com
Saldibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

"grout boost" is one additive.

Laticrete also has a grout additive, it doesn't really seal it, it just makes it dry color correct.

Anti-Hydro has addmixtures you can add to cement grouts to seal them and also waterproof the grout.
..................Check out our Blog
Florida Installer of Laticrete HydroBan & HydroBarrier
....Florida Installer of Schluter Kerdi & Kerdi-Board
................."Waterproofed Tile Showers"
........Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com