Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 02-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Dirk
Trying to learn

River rock clear coating?

Hi all - found this forum while trying to find a solution to my problem, and it looks like I hopefully found the right place - hoping you'll be able to help!

We're currently renovating a bathroom, and putting in a slate tile floor. Now, what we'd like to do is run a small (~6" wide), winding 'river' of river rock/pebbles down the middle of the floor. That part isn't a problem. The issue is, we'd like to cover/coat it with some kind of clear polyurethane or something to a) seal it, and b) bring it up to the level of the surrounding tile. Basically, my wife wants the look, without having to worry about cleaning up dirt, etc stuck between the rocks, or someone tripping on the uneven part of the floor (and yes, we realize that the slate itself won't be perfectly level, but it's pretty close).

Now, we've seen this done in a showhome once a few years ago, and it looked really nice - but I have no idea what product they used over the rock. Can I just pick up some generic clear polyurethane or something from my local home store to seal/cover it with, or should I go with something else? My concerns are basically:
1) Needs to be waterproof (it is a bathroom floor)
2) Worried about it yellowing/discolouring with age
3) Durability/resistance to scratching, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I've tried searching, and found lots of posts about people using river rock in showers, etc, but nothing quite like what we're doing.

Thanks,
Dirk
Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Dirk, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you need an enhancing sealer. Let's move you over to the sealing/resto forum for their input.

Click here to learn how you can help fight the craptacular disease of Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Quote:
and b) bring it up to the level of the surrounding tile.
I'm not sure just a sealer is what they are after. It almost sounds like they want to completely submerge the stone portion in a clear coat, to the point where the top of the clear coat is dead smooth. Is this right?
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Dirk
Trying to learn

Quote:
I'm not sure just a sealer is what they are after. It almost sounds like they want to completely submerge the stone portion in a clear coat, to the point where the top of the clear coat is dead smooth. Is this right?
That's exactly correct - we're looking to make it so that the top is smooth, and even with the surrounding tile.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
The Kid

If you do some looking around they sell a sliced pebble now that has the same look as the mosiac pebbles only with a flat gauged surface. Ill try to find the brand.

Cascade Tileworks,llc
Licensed, Bonded & Insured
WA Lic# CASCATL894QA
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
GeorgeT
StoneTech Rep

Send a message via ICQ to GeorgeT
Your looking for a product that isn't a sealer or a clear coat. If you want to completely cover and flush the product to the floor you need a casting resin. Look in the plastics industry...We have a store 'round here called TAP Plastics. They have that kind of product.
http://www.stonetechpro.com/
GeorgeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
G&B Plumbing and Tile

Jeremy,
I bet your thinking Island Stone.......
Hmmmm... or maybe Strata Stone....

If I cant do it right, why do it at all??
G&B Plumbing and Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
G&B Plumbing and Tile

Hello Dirk,
Welcome to the form
Have you already purchased your river rock? I ask this because I was sitting here thinking of how I would cover meshed pebbles with a resin. Well, I would not recommend it. I really do not think you'll get the results your after. Controling bubbles, yellowing, seperating etc... I think the options I might recommend would be... search for this ALREADY done in the factory. It would be a safer way to go about this.

On another note, if your main concern with this floor is really just the unevenness of the pebble's. Then Jeremy has you in the right direction with the "sliced" pebble, but I will bring it one step further. You may want to look at a "flat" pebble instead of the sliced and that way you can have the grout flush with the stone. The slices still had the depth of the pebble with a flat sliced top.... the "flat" gives you the full view of the pebble stone.

Hope this helps on your quest

If I cant do it right, why do it at all??
G&B Plumbing and Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
Dirk
Trying to learn

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, we've already purchased the rock - but it might not be too late to change if I can reach our contractor in time.

I've tried looking for something pre-done, but I haven't really found anything. If someone knows of something, that might be another option.

Would you happen to know where I could find a picture or something of the "flat" pebble you mentioned? It sounds like it might also work.

In the meantime, I guess I'll start looking for plastics companies.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
The Kid

heres what i mentioned earlier. Scroll down to "wave mosiac pebble" I think you might look into something like this. The clearcoat overlay thing might work, but would leave me rather bothersome.
http://www.krystalgardens.com/mosaic_stone_tiles.htm

Cascade Tileworks,llc
Licensed, Bonded & Insured
WA Lic# CASCATL894QA
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
Dirk
Trying to learn

Quote:
heres what i mentioned earlier. Scroll down to "wave mosiac pebble" I think you might look into something like this. The clearcoat overlay thing might work, but would leave me rather bothersome.
http://www.krystalgardens.com/mosaic_stone_tiles.htm
Thanks very much for the link - that definitely looks like a possibility as well. Wish I'd known about that earlier

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com