Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
ccrow
Clifton

Fein vs. Rockwell vs. Dremel (Multimaster tool)

Hey Guys-

Has anyone used or does anyone have an opinion about the Multimaster by Fein or the Sonicrafter by Rockwell or the Multi Max by Dremel. From what I can tell these are all basically the same type of tool with slightly varied specs and a large variance in price. I really like the idea of adding the tool into my arsenal of weapons. The main application I am wanting it for is grout removal or possibly removing rusty toilet bolts, other than that I just lust after tools.

Any opinions or thoughts on the tools or my desired uses would be great.
Thanks,
ccrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hi Clifton,

Check out this recent thread. The Rockwell is mentioned in there.

I saw an infomercial the other day about the Rockwell. I could see why these tools are so desirable.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
ckl111
Home Builder

You should do a search in the pro's hangout. There are many thread's about those tools.

In a nut shell, Fein is the original tool and the best built but the most expensive. Their patent expired in October 2008 and that is when the copy cats came to market. If you intend to use extensively, spend the money on the fein. The others do the same work but are not built as well for long term use. If you are an occasional user, the others are worth a look.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
ccrow
Clifton

Colin-
Are you still pretty happy with your Dremel then? I have enough credit to Lowes to get the Dremel for free. I'm just trying to decide if I should use the credit and get it or save the credit for another fun toy, like a Dewalt Miter Saw and use cash and get the Rockwell or the Fein.

It seems most that had the dremel were still giving it a go and not dissatisfied with it.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
ckl111
Home Builder

Clifton,

Yes I am happy with the Dremel, but as I have said before in the other thread, I don't expect it to be directly comparable to the Fein in terms of quality. The fein costs about 2.5 times as much for the basic model. The $400 Fein kits come with a lot more blades so it's not comparable to the dremel.

For the one or two times a month I will use it, it is more than adequate. My subcontractors that use the tool extensively have the Fein.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
ylabbe

Fein vs Rockwell Multimaster tool

Hi Clifton,

I have learned a lot about doing it yourself over the past 35 years, some guys golf I do renovations and improvements for fun. I don't know much about the Rockwell Multi-Tool except for what I have seen on the infomercials’. But I have had a Fein for over 15 years and it still works like new. I'm a great believer in "You get what you pay for" philosophy. When something is cheaper it's usually "Cheaper". I used to buy a new tool after I had just finished a job without it, sort of like installing a burglar alarm after your house has been broken in to. Now I go out and get the tool for the job before I start. You don't have to worry about never using the thing again, once you have it you will find hundreds of uses for it, I know I did. I have come to depend on this tool so much that if anything happened to it, I would go out and get a new one the same day. My Fein is probably one of the best tools I own.

Yvan (Ivan) L'Abbe
A very enthusiastic do it yourselfer
ylabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
ccrow
Clifton

Rockwell=Not Good

As many of you have said and I've heard long before cheaper is NOT always better. I had high hopes for the Rockwell Sonicrafter, but again cheaper (than Fein) was not better or at least not good. I don't have a the Fein yet, but my experience with the $179.00 Sonicrafter was not good. I've had it two months and used it on two jobs. On job #1 the grout blade wore all of the carbide grit off within 10 minutes (4 1/4 tub surrond unsanded grout) and then the allen key that holds the blade on stripped out so I couldn't change the attachments. I called Rockwell and they did replace the stripped out bolt and even the grout blade. On job #2 the new grout blade got hot in about 10 minutes and folded in half. The power switch has also decided to work intermittently at best. I have to turn it off and on 6 x's or so before it will actually start.

In short I'm calling Rockwell today and going to try and get my money back if at all possible.

The Fein's are currently on sale for $399 a www.4multimaster.com and I'm on my to getting one soon. I should have listened to all of you die hard Fein lover's on here.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
wopachop

i bought the dremel to do a grout removal nightmare job. the blade lasted forever. i had the dremel pinned for hours at a time. it started to spit grease out of the vents after about 20 hours...but it still runs fine. all in all that little sucker ran 9-10 hours a day for 4 days, sucking grout dust and never really getting a chance to cool down.

the blades are expensive though...online you can find the grout removal blade pretty cheap. but if you need it immediately lowes charged like 40 bucks i think. plus they dont stock the 1/8" size...i had to find it at tool depot
Old 06-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
william35453

another contender! / new trick

and now bosch (which also owns drimmel) has a cordless for $179. it's blades are more expensive but bigger. funny, in my town, HD has drimmel 1/16" grout blade, while lowe's has 1/8" grout blade. i also have drimmel and very satisfied with it. have used fein before, but this does what i need done.

BTW, discovered a neat trick last week. was recaulking a tub surround and there was some ancient decades' old caulk that required the grout blade to get out, but couldn't get the tub surface under the tile edge clean. i had some pressure sensitive sandpaper and cut and put a piece on the flexible thin caulk tool and it polished that tub like a gem. had to renew the sandpaper every 6 inches, but it was de bomb (do they still say that?).
Old 06-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
Muddman
Potter, Contractor, Philosopher

I have a Fein and use it all the time. You can tell it is built like a rock. I have never used th others, but it doesn't vibrate in the hand as much as I thought it would.
St. Louis, MO

www.muddmandesign.com
Muddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #11
Repsolal

I purchased the Fein basic kit from local Home Hardware store for $249 CDN
last year, came with a few blades, scrapers and a dozen or so sanding pads etc... I use it quite often and it works great. I have stripped the allen bolt that holds the blades in, but I bought a few replacements from CDN tire
and they work, also one with a hex head so i can use a socket on it

Window & Door guy
Carpenter
Avid DIY'er
Repsolal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
ccrow
Clifton

Rockwell/Amazon

Luckliy, everyone agreed that I had cause for return and they are refunding me 100% of the cost. The tool may not be worth much but at least they all had good customer service.

Fein here I come... as soon as I save up some $$
Old 11-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
moucon

Rockwell isn't the USA Rockwell

Hello
The bottom line is you're gonna get what you pay for. Fein is a finely-built professional tool... the Rockwell is a knock-off made in China. Costs half as much... is worth 1/4 as much. The Rockwell brand was taken over by an Asian company... it's not the same USA Rockwell/Porter-Cable brand you all might remember. We tested the tools at the Journal of Light Construction (jlconline.com) and the Fein was victorious hands-down. If it was $40 vs. $400 and I only had one or two jobs to do - I'd get a Rockwell, but not if it were a tool I was going to use daily, and not when one is $200 and the other is $350. A 'real' Multimaster you'll have to hand down to your grand-kids.

Moo

PS - Dremel's version is much less powerful than Fein's, so they're not in the same league either.
moucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
gwataloo
Tile Man, Shenandoah, VA.

Ive had my Rockwell for a little while now. And I can say I've gotten my $200 worth of it. We mainly use it to clean thinset out of joints and to cut door jambs. I bought the Rockwell because I wanted to see how much I would use it. And I find myself reaching for it alot. Now when I get some extra money I will be buying the Fein. The the main thing I like about the Fein is the quick release.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
Renee1234
Realtor - Chicagoland

Bought the Dremel Multi Max and hated it. Bought the rotozip and loved it - my first rotozip was defective, but the replacement is fine. I am sure the Dremel is fine for most, but even I (with an extreme phobia of power tools) felt it was too "hobby-ish". Good luck!

BTW, I really have no experience, but I know which worked better for me.

www.ReneeA.com
Renee1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com