Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
chrishmm69

Aqua Mix at Lowes?

Ive read some references to some Aqua Mix products being sold at Lowes. But when I went to pick some up (I need the sealer/adhesive remover to remove some leftover SpectraLock), I noticed they didnt have Aqua Mix, but some other brand (I forget which now), but same product name.

Are they the same products just with different labels?

Can anyone recommend other over the counter products to help remove some extra SL? It feels like some of the sand got on the tile but its very hard to see....almost like a little slipped out of the bag and got swept up and spread during grouting/cleaning.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
Old 12-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
prashster

Lowes does sell Aquamix, but it's not the same as the stuff you'll get at pro tile store. I was counselled by an Aquamix tech rep to NOT buy the stuff at Lowes if I want the top quality.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
chrishmm69

Thanks for the tip. A local tile store has the Aqua Mix Grout Release, but they are very convinced it will not remove excess epoxy grout.

I know Ive read here of an acid wash that Laticrete makes, and some installers use it after the grout is dry just to be sure there is no haze left. Laticrete stuff is not readily available to me at this point, but I did notice that HD/Lowes both sell some form of acid wash. Would those suffice?

Just dont want to buy a jug of Aqua Mix if Im going to try a little and find out it really doesnt work.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Please don't bother with the "grout release"...that product is intended for use before you start grouting to keep the grout from bonding in the first place. And those acid washes are no good at this point for your epoxy grout.

The tile company that has AquaMix products...they can't get their Sealer and Adhesive Remover? If not, here's a link to Laticrete's recommendations for other products to remove the Spectralock haze.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
chrishmm69

Thanks for the link, thats a different version of the TSB than Ive been reading, at least that one has some specific products listed.

When I hit the tile store on the way home Ill ask if they have the sealer/adhesive remover. Hopefully they have it in stock, as it seems that it should work (as you recommend it, and Ive seen it listed elsewhere on this site).

Will the acid wash not work right now because the grout hasnt cured long enough? If I have to wait, thats fine. I just want to know I have a Plan B in case the sealer/adhesive remover doesnt work.

Also, the TSB lists a Stone Tech product, and Im pretty sure either HD or Lowes had stone tech stuff when I looked. Does the same "FYI" about Aqua Wax at Lowes/HD apply to Stone Tech too?

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
GeorgeT
StoneTech Rep

Send a message via ICQ to GeorgeT
Chris -
DuPont formulated a contractor-level water based product for StoneTech Professional that we market as "Epoxy Grout Haze Remover". The sister product to that is our "Coating Stripper" which will also work.
There is also a retail version carried by some Lowes stores called "DuPont Stone Care Heavy Duty Coating Stripper"....
All of these products will facilitate removal of light to medium epoxy grout haze. These are water-based products and are slower acting than the older solvent based versions (Some Laticrete TSB's referred to those older strippers). Average dwell time for medium haze is 60-90 minutes with lighter haze taking 30-45 minutes.
http://www.stonetechpro.com/
GeorgeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
chrishmm69

The tile place had one small jug of sealant and adhesive remover left, so I relieved them of it

I did notice, though, that it has what seems to be an old logo on it. Is there an expiration date on this stuff?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
danny boy

Just had this same issue with apoxy grout on a commercial job. Went to home depot and purchased Tile Lab heavy duty floor stripper and spot treated some of the areas where apoxy haze wasn't coming up..then rented the floor cleaning machine (40.00/4hr) and hit the whole area with white scrub pads and nuetral cleaner. It passed the GC's inspection...apoxy is nasty stuff...
danny boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:39 AM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishmm69
Will the acid wash not work right now because the grout hasnt cured long enough? If I have to wait, thats fine. I just want to know I have a Plan B in case the sealer/adhesive remover doesnt work.
No, acid cleaners on epoxy is like shooting b-b's at an approaching Bradley tank. It doesn't do squat once epoxy has cured. Epoxy is NOT like cementitious grouts that are affected by acid. Different animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishmm69
I did notice, though, that it has what seems to be an old logo on it. Is there an expiration date on this stuff?
I wouldn't concern myself with that on a cleaner. Go for it.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com