Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 12-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Page
"Tile Dog"

Layout, Estimating, Project Management Software

Do any of you folks use layout, estimating and/or project management/business software? If so what? and why or why not?

I use Quick Books for bookkeeping...Duh! and I sometimes use Punch Pro coupled with it's CAD program to do layouts for customers with no visual imagination, but I was wondering if there is a more comprehensive program tailored for tile setters that will handle layouts, estimates, scheduling, materials, invoicing/billing, inventory etc?

Remember, Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're still not out to get you!
Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
custombuilt
Tile and remodeling contractor

for the visually challenged i use paper, pencil, and a ruler and draw it out for them... other than that for layout and estimating i use a good calculator and my noggin.

i do write up my bids in publisher though. so im not much help huh?

Superior Construction
Custom Interior and Exterior remodeling experts
Quincy, IL
custombuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
rocksolid

There's no single program that will solve all your problems, and that's probably a good thing.

I use Quickbooks for accounting & estimates/purchase orders, AutoCad for takeoffs and designs, Excel for custom worksheets, Palm for scheduling day-to day appointments, Microsoft Project for large job scheduling and Gantt charts/timelines...there's not a one-stop shop for all of those specific programs that I've seen.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/HallCr...78019725597379
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
Page
"Tile Dog"

Thanks Chris.

Remember, Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're still not out to get you!
Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
guitarsman
Flooring Contractor-- Gig Harbor, WA.

Page:
I use RFMS Measure. I have a blue tooth lazer measure which sends my measurements to my laptop measure program. the program draws the room or rooms as I scan. when I'm finished measuring I can fine tune my drawings or just select a product and it calculates automatically with waste percentages, shows rooms filled with tile, borders, or anything else you can throw in. It even has a 3D visual of shower stalls. I just use the basic program but I think they have what your asking about.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
koihito
No one of consequence.

If you want to try something to get your feet wet without spending any money, Tile Gem is a free .net based tile design program.

No one of consequence...

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
BathRenewal.com

I use spreadsheets for just about everything. I have a nice little spreadsheet I have set up for doing scheduling and project management. I do all my estimates and invoicing through my spreadsheets which I use macros to program a good bit of my data entry etc. I've set up some spreadsheets and use pivot reports to analyze my numbers. Some of this is automated through macros, some of it is manual entry. But I like my system because it's completely flexible (partly because I have a background in programming). I don't have any inventory but I'm sure you could create a nice spread sheet to do that too. Macros can be your friend if you learn how to use them to automate a good deal of your work.

I do like Punch Pro. It's inexpensive and does some nice work and it's easy to learn. I have done a few projects on there to let customer see what the finished product will look like if they can't visualize like you said.

http://www.BathRenewal.com

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they've made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem!" -Ronald Regan
BathRenewal.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase