Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
rmelo99
Network Engineer by Day\ Hardcore DIYer by Night

Best adhesive to attach to tile

What is the best/strongest adhesive to attach something to tile?

I was looking at liquid nails, and they make a product for granite/marble that says it is good for solid surfaces.

Can anyone make recommendations?

Thanks
Rem
Old 11-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Quote:
What is the best/strongest adhesive to attach something to tile?
please fill us in more on the material you are using this for.

epoxy is probably the best. liquid nail and others are good also.
..................Check out our Blog
Florida Installer of Laticrete HydroBan & HydroBarrier
....Florida Installer of Schluter Kerdi & Kerdi-Board
................."Waterproofed Tile Showers"
........Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
rmelo99

I have a corner sink that I need to attach to a tiled wall in the half bath. This is a vintage crane plumbing sink that I picked up for a song at a local building materials recycler.

Anyhow the sink doesn't have a mounting bracket or anywhere that you would apparently put one. I can see however that perhaps there was a ledge on either wall for the sink to sit on.

I have attached 2 strips of 1x2 to either of the 2 walls to hold the sink. This will hold the sink up, but not in place. I need adhesive to secure the sink to the wood and also the back to the wall tile. The tile is 4x4 ceramic on a metal lathe and mudbed on the wall, and the sink is porcelein.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
gardner

dumb ideas and dumber questions

Is the back of the sink where it will meet the wall glazed or raw porcelain? Would you consider grinding the glaze off the tiles where the sink will fit?

There would likely be unevenness in the wall tile and back of the sink leading to gaps being present. Whatever your adhesive is will have to fill those.

Do the cleats REALLY support the sink, even if you lean on the edge? Or will the adhesive or whatever also have to support some of that?

A possibility might be to scarify the wall tile with a diamond wheel and then use thinset to glue the sink in place like a soap ledge.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
gardner

more dumb ideas

I might also reconsider using wood for the brackets/cleats and instead use galvanized steel or aluminium angle My worry would be that the wood could get wet from seepage between the sink and wall and would eventually rot and give out.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
gsr

Sink Bracket

Hello Rem,

I've seen a number of old wall mounted sinks that used a bent metal bracket (attached to the wall). Is the underside back of your sink beveled or sloped?

If so, you could find or fabricate a bracket, screw or bolt that through the tile and slide the sink down onto the bracket.

Oops, Gardner's fingers are quicker than mine.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
rmelo99

I removed an old wall mounted yellow sink, that had the bent steel bracket that it slides onto from the bathroom this new one is going into. I'm familiar with these sinks/brackets I've torn out my fair share of them.

This one is differnent, there is no apparent place that a bracket would have gone. The guy that sold it to me said that's why he never sold it, everyone kept asking, HOW DO U MOUNT IT?

I figured, I'm pretty handy and love the sink, I'll figure out a way. Like I said the sink had what appeared to be old double sided tape adhesive on the two parts where I hope to have it sit on the wood.

The back of the sink is raw, not glazed. I would def consider grinding the glaze off the wall tiles behind the sink. Would thinset be my best bet? And yes the adhesive does have to support some of the sink, if you lean on the front the sink, while not adhered tips forward.

So it thinset to the raw porcelein and scarified wall tiles my BEST adhesion?

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com