Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
tekmom

Adex crackle finish tile?

Hi, We are planning to tile our kitchen backsplash. Trying to decide between American Olean "Greenwich Village" subway tile and Adex "crackle". I like the look of the Adex but it appears to be a terracotta tile with a painted crackle and a shinier gloss on top of that. Does anyone have experience with this tile? Does it have to be sealed and would the crackle chip when cutting on a tile saw? It seems to be more expensive than the American Olean product but it looks like it might give my shaker kitchen a nicer look that just plain subway tiles. Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks!
tekmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
Arn
Oregon Tile Guy

TM:

I have used the crackle finish tile, and it does have a nice look. If you are grouting a color vastly different than the tile, some have experienced grout coloring the cracks. I think penetrating sealer can prevent that though. I havn't ever had that problem.
~ They don't seem to chip any worse than AO tile. You'll still want to dress uncovered edges with a stone though.

Best of luck!

~Mind over Mortar
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Mom, give us a first name, will ya?

I was not aware that Ardex made tile. Do you have a site where I can see it?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:07 PM   #4
salbwil2

Hi Mr. Bridge,
It's Adex tile, and the site is: Adexusa.com. I also have the Adex tile, but not the crackle glaze.I'm interested to see what you think after seeing the web site.
Glad your neck of the woods came out ok...
Sallie
salbwil2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:25 AM   #5
tekmom

Thanks for your responses! My name is Tonya and my husband and I are sort of do it yourselfers. I research it ...he does it. We did our kitchen with an off white painted, vanilla glazed, maple shaker cabinets and a sandstone countertop with wide pine plank flooring. It seems I'm having the hardest time picking out tile for a backsplash, though. Thank goodness I found these boards. I found the Adex tile accidentally while looking at the AO tiles yesterday at the tile store. I like the crackle look, but like i said, am concerned about chipping. I don't know of the Adex website, though. I am thinking of a cornsilk colored grout. It seems to blend with the countertop. I don't know if the grout would penetrate the crackle, though, it looks like the crackle is covered with a gloss. I can still feel the crackle texture somewhat, though. Do you think I would still have a problem with the grout getting into the crackle? I never thought about that. Thanks for any help!
Old 09-29-2005, 07:23 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Must be something to do with age. I saw Adex, but I read Ardex.

Quit calling me Mr. Bridge, Sallie. Makes me sound even older than I am.

Hi Tonya,

My thinking on ANY shower tile is that it should be easily wiped off. If you can't get it with one swipe, go to something else. That's just my opinion, though, and a lot of people ignore me.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:05 PM   #7
Shaughnn
Tile Contractor & Trowel Monkey

Hi Tonya,
The following are the precautions posted on the Adex website for their crazed/crackle glaze tiles
Installation Specs:
Always follow ANSI Specs.
Sizes are Nominal.
White Body Crackle Glaze.
Field Tile Thickness: inch.
Needs to be sealed if installed in showers or wet areas.
Soak tiles in water before cutting with a wet saw and rinse immediately to avoid clay bleeding into the crackle surface.

From this, I believe that you will need to use a penetrating sealer, applied with a towel, on the surface prior to grouting and then applied once again after everything is grouted and polished. The warning about rinsing the tiles IMMEDIATELY after cutting is the dead give-away. Even white grout can stain crackle glazed tiles and though the staining will be white it's still a problem. All crackle glaze has this problem, so don't let that beter you from using the Adex stuff over the American Olean. Just looking at the website, I think the Adex stuff may be the nicer material but I expect the sizing will be irregular. American Olean sizing will be more precise though it may give a more "institutional" feeling to the room.
If you do go with the Adex, make sure to keep buckets of clean water available to soak your tile in and use a sponge to keep it clean as you work.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Certified WEDI Board installer
NuHeat radiant heating system "Qualified Installer"

"Working is more fun with cookies" ~ Tim Gunn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:09 AM   #8
tekmom

Thanks again! The tile would be used in my kitchen as the backspash, not in a bathroom. I don't know if that matters or not. The soaking thing sounds like a hassle, do I have to soak the AO product, too. It is not a crackle. Only the Adex sample is the crackle finish. The AO is a glossy and the other AO sample is a matte. Thanks again!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
tekmom

installing crackled subway backsplash in kitchen

Hi, my husband and I are finally (after two years of talking about it) installing our kitchen backsplash on Sunday. It is a cream colored crackled subway. Can I use Acrylic Pro Adhesive to put the tiles on the wall or a premixed thinset? Does one dry quicker than another? It would go on drywall that has been sanded, no backerboard.
Do I need to soak the tiles first in water even though we will be using a wet saw or will just rinsing them after cutting be okay? Do they need to dry out before going on the wall?
I know I need to seal them before I grout (and after) but if I soak them doesn't that defeat the purpose of the sealer? Which sealer do you recommend for crackled ceramic subways?

Thanks for any advice and sorry about all the questions!

tonya
Old 10-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

Hi Tonya.

Thank you for asking. The majority here advise against using pre-mixed thinset, commonly known as mastic. For your backsplash, because it is
not a wet area it would be ok. I would still prefer to see you use a regular
thinset with a small amount of acryllic latex additive. Your box stores sell
this type of thinset and is typically cheaper in price as well. If you do use
mastic do not soak your tiles in water. In fact, make sure your cuts are dry
before setting them. With your crackled glaze I would also advise sealing the
surface of the tiles before grouting with an impregnating sealer to cutdown on staining of the
crazing. It will most likely happen anyways to a degree but sealer will help
reduce the amount.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
tekmom

Thanks. I bought Acrylic Pro adhesive. So I can't set the crackle tiles while they are wet from the tile saw unless I use a thinset that I mix?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome back, Tonya.

I've combined your original thread here for historic reference, eh?

Which tiles did you decide upon?
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #13
tekmom

Hi, I actually ended up with Banan Appeal crackle 3x6 field tile in "icicle". I never could decide between the Adex or the American Olean in my original posts and before we knew it we just stopped talking about the backsplash. Now almost three years later I finally bought the tile and we are gearing up to do it on Sunday.
I'm just confused on the soaking aspect as it relates to the adhesive. I picked up Acrylic Pro adhesive today from Home Depot but now I'm concerned I've bought the wrong thing as per my laundry list of questions.lol.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

You need to read the manufacturer's installation instructions regarding any soaking of the tiles, Tonya. If you'll look back at Shaughnn's post #7 you'll see his reference to Adex tiles. May be similar requirements for your current brand.

As for the adhesive, it is never a good idea to set wet tiles with any mastic or thinset mortar. You should at least towel dry the tiles from the wet-saw no matter what pookey you're using to set'em.

I don't use mastic at all, but I suspect that requirement is even more critical when using such organic adhesives.

But you'll hear from some of the big-time tilers who use both types, I'm sure.

My opinion; worth price charged.

And would you please go to the UserCP, find Edit Signature and enter your first name there so it will appear in each post and we don't gotta search for it?
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
tekmom

Okay. So after the tile comes off the wet saw, towel dry and then set? So it's okay if the tile absorbed the moisture, to set it on the wall, damp but not dripping?

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com