Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
ldb

Question walk-in doorless shower size

I am designing a walk-in doorless shower. I can't find anything that gives me the distance I need from the shower head to the open entrance, in order not to have a lot of splash outside of the shower. The shower will be pretty much a rectangle with perhaps one neo-angle. The shower head will be at one end of the long side (A) and the entrance directly on the other side of the rectangle (B). I was planning on 60"

---------------------------|
|---------------------------|
A|---------------------------|B
|---------------------------|
----------------------------|

Thanks for your input.
ldb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome back, Linda. Would you please put that first name in a permanent signature line for us so's we don't gotta search for it?

This the same solid-surface shower you were working on last December?

Afraid I can't tell anything from what you've tried to sketch out electronically, there. Would be a lot better if you could draw us a diagram and post that, maybe.

I typed "doorless shower" into the Advanced Search feature and got some 35 responses. Some of them might give you some ideas.

But with your stated 60 inches, I think you should be able to do something. I've done doorless installations with less than that as the longest dimension. You gotta expect a little splash-out, but I've never had a customer complaint.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
ldb

Thanks CX

Thanks CX. I don't know much about "forums." It is the same bath that I previously had asked questions about. I did decide that the shower will be tiled. I had originally designed a walk-in doorless shower, with one half wall tiled with glass on top and one wall of all glass. When I saw the framing of the half wall, it took up too much of the room. So I am now in the process of rethinking/designing the shower. I want to shorten the length to 60" finished as I previously stated the width is 40" UNfinished. There is an angle designed that is too difficult for me to explain. I will need to draw it and post it. The shower head is at one end of the 60" rectangle and the entrance is directly across from it at the other end of the 60" rectangle.

As I said in my first message, I wanted to know how close or how far away the entrance should be if it is directly across from the shower head? Is there some kind of minimum? The shower will have a curb.

Thank you in advance for any input.
Linda
Old 08-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda
I wanted to know how close or how far away the entrance should be if it is directly across from the shower head? Is there some kind of minimum?
I'm aware of no such standard.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
chuck stevenson
Contractor -- Schluterville Graduate

Linda,

Make sure you put the valve close enough to the entrance so you can turn the water on without getting into the shower, unless you like a blast of cold water.

No curb, walk-in shower.
chuck stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
ldb

Worried about my design.

I have somebody coming tomorrow morning to finsih framing the shower area and I am concerned about the design. I will attempt to attach two very rough drawings of the bathroom. The key to the drawings: green is bottom half of the wall tiled top of wall glass, pink= full glass wall, and yellow = entrance with curb. My first plan I had the pink angled wall as tiled on bottom and glass on top. When the contractor framed that wall it really closed in the room and made it look much smaller (this was end of work day Friday). I asked him to let me think of a new idea. The other thing that bothered me about this design was that it looked like half my bath had the curb going across it. I would have liked a curbless, but I don't think he would be able to do it, and I know it would be more money.

New idea was the one I posted above. Changing the shower area from about 7' to 5' and moving the entrance to where it is not in plain sight. I also changed both ideas to have the angle wall be full glass so as not to close in the room. My concern about the new design is that now the entrance is directly in front of the shower head.

Any opnions on these two designs or other, would be appreciated. Also, the long wall in the shower is an outside wall, so I can not move my shower to that side. The Other walls pink and green are glass. The only wall that the shower head can be on is the wall it is on. Chuck, I love your idea about the controls but I think I am stuck.

On a new subject; I was reading the other posts I found when I searched with "doorless shower" and found everyone talking about the Kerdi system. I am sure the man doing my shower knows nothing about this system. He is planning on mudding and using the typical liner. Should I be worried?

Please help.
Thanks,
Linda
P.S. Problem with uploading my two layouts, the files are too big.

Last edited by ldb; 08-10-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
cx

Quote:
Also, the long wall in the shower is an outside wall, so I can not move my shower to that side.
And just why not, pray tell? The shower controls and heads can be located wherever the customer wants them as a rule. We've discussed that pretty regularly hereabouts.

On the glass wall would not be a good option, of course, but even that's not out of the question.
Quote:
Problem with uploading my two layouts, the files are too big.
Not gonna be able to help much if we can't see the pichers, eh? In what format are they?

Old 08-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
ldb

drawing size problems

I have two hand drawn layouts that I scanned. I tried putting them in .doc format and then tried scanning them to MS Paint.

Concerning outside wall - When I was looking for contractors; they all said, "you don't want to put the pipes on an outside wall." So, what do I know, I just went along with it. :-) Anyway, I don't think I'll have much room that way. You'll see when I can get my drawings to upload.

Linda
Old 08-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
ldb

My drawings

I hope I've managed to attach my drawings. As I said earlier they are rough.
Linda
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #10
cx

Can't see the dimensions on the drawing, but if I understand the dimensions from your description either layout would work. I'd prefer the one with the door parallel to the long wall, with the control on the long wall.
Quote:
Concerning outside wall - When I was looking for contractors; they all said, "you don't want to put the pipes on an outside wall."
Well, it's a consideration, but we have no eye-dee where you live. It's more of a consideration in Fairbanks than in Houston, for example.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:37 AM   #11
ldb

Thanks again for your input CX. I live in NJ. Again I am not sure he will be able to or want to move the controls to the long wall because of it being an outside wall.

On a new subject; I was reading the other posts I found when I searched with "doorless shower" and found everyone talking about the Kerdi system. I am sure the man doing my shower knows nothing about this system. He is planning on mudding and using the typical liner. Should I be worried?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:01 AM   #12
cx

"Typical" liner and mud pans have been used successfully for generations. If it's properly installed it will work fine.
Quote:
Again I am not sure he will be able to or want to move the controls to the long wall because of it being an outside wall.
It's not his house. But if you don't want the valve on that wall, that's fine with me.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com