Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Ohio_Frank

Ohio Frank's Master Bath Shower Project

After several months of reading this forum, I have started on replacing the shower in my small master bathroom. My home was built in 1989.

I am replacing an old 32" x 48" Mustee fiberglass shower pan with the Kerdi shower system with prefab tray and curb. I have purchased the Kerdi Shower e-book and have started reading it.

After having removed the tile, greenboard and old shower pan, I have several questions:

1) My subfloor is 19/32" OSB mounted 16" OC with 2x8 joists. When installing the Kerdi shower tray, can I bond it directly to the OSB with thinset mortar, or is a layer of underlayment recommended? The rest of the floor has 1/4" underlayment over the OSB subfloor and is covered with vinyl sheet flooring.

2) How far above the subflooring should the PVC drain pipe extend? The current PVC drain pipe is just to the top of the 19/32" OSB subfloor.

3) Assuming it is long enough, does the existing PVC drain pipe sticking up into the shower pan need to be replaced or can it be cleaned up to allow for bonding of the Kerdi drain?

4) If the PVC drain pipe is not long enough, what is the best way to remove it without modifying the trap below? The assumption that I'm making is the location of the PVC drain pipe will align with the Kerdi shower tray. I have not yet received the Kerdi shower system yet.

5) Will Laticrete Megabond thinset mortar (sold at Lowes) be appropriate for bonding the Kerdi membrane AND satisfy the requirements for the warranty to be honored by Schluter? The Laticrete rep said it would but I wanted to get a few other opinions.

Thank you in advance for your help in answering these questions. My apologies if this information has been posted and I missed it in my reading.

Frank
Old 08-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Frank.

1. I'd want another layer of plywood. I think Schluter would approve the single layer of 5/8ths for the Kerdi tray, but I honestly don't know.

2. Go to our whirl-famous Liberry and scroll down to the part what says Kerdi Drain Rough-in. Should answer all your questions.

3. Should be fine if you have a PVC drain.

4. There are inside pipe cutters available as a drill attachment. Can likely even get one at your local Big-Box.

5. Well, you gonna take the word of a guy you ain't never met on an internet site you've never visited over the word of the product manufacturer's representative?

Far as I know that MegaBond is the Big-Box equivalent of Laticrete 317, which is a very good un-modified thinset. Check the bag to see do it not say it meets ANSI A118.1 when mixed with water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
Thank you in advance for your help in answering these questions. My apologies if this information has been posted and I missed it in my reading.
All the information has been posted hundreds of times, Frank, and I'm sure it'll get posted hundreds of times more. That's what we're here for.

And since this is apparently your first Kerdi shower, I'd strongly suggest you purchase and download John Bridge's Kerdi Shower eBook before you take another step. Best ten bucks you'll ever spend on a shower tool.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Ohio_Frank

CX,

Thank you for the gracious welcome and your quick reply. I have purchased the Kerdi Shower e-book.

I appreciate the reference to the Kerdi Drain Rough-in document in the Liberry and the clarification on the Laticrete Megabond being equivalent to Laticrete 317. According to the technical spec sheet, Laticrete Megabond meets the ANSI A118.1 standard.

Since I am using the Kerdi pre-fab shower tray, I believe the distance for the PVC drain pipe below the subfloor (Dimension "b" in the Kerdi Drain Rough-in diagram) would be:

2 3/4" minus Thickness of the Kerdi pre-fab shower tray (Dimension "a" in the Kerdi Drain Rough-in diagram)

Do you know what dimension "a" would be for the Kerdi pre-fab shower tray?

Thanks again for your help.

Frank

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com