Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
jwwill

Backsplash with Bowed Wall

Hi, my kitchen just had granite installed with a 4" back splash. We are installing stone tile above the granite up to the cabinets. The wall with the problem is 10 ft long with a sink in the middle. In the middle, about 3 ft of wall is bowed behind the sink toward the sink and is flush to the granite but now there are gradually increasing gaps to the ends between the granite and wall. The gap is 3/8" on the left and 1/4" on the right.

There is a window about 8" above the sink that has 3" drywall to the left and right of the windows to the cabinets.

What method should I use to build up the wall thickness since moving the 3 ft section by the sink back is not an option due to load bearing supports being right behind? Thanks. John

Last edited by jwwill; 06-10-2008 at 09:00 AM.
jwwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

It might be easier to remove that piece of drywall between two studs, and replace with a 1/4" piece and feather it in with a little thinset.Otherwise you'll have to build the whole wall out with mud and make it flat, which won't be easy.There are probably metal plates on the studs where the plumbing is for the sink to protect the pipes and causing the bow.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
jwwill

Thanks for the idea. Hadn't thought of that. There is a window 8" above the sink with drywall running up the wall. I guess I would have to level all that out with thinset. After reading the forums, I could use 1/4" CBU instead of drywall since it will be tiled.

Then again, building out the wall doesn't seem like too much work since we're only talking about 14" from backsplash to bottom of upper cabinets and only about 6 total feet would have to be done. Any thoughts?
jwwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com