Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 05-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
ngng

Question Sealer problem/recommendation?

I tried asking this question on someone else's thread but got no response. Maybe someone can make a suggestion? Thank you!

I'm also doing a travertine backsplash. What specific brand of enhancer/sealer is recommended? I tried purchasing the Dupont Stone Enhancer and when I poured it out to use (after shaking it), it came out in clumps! I called Dupont and they said they have had manufacturing problems and are changing the formula. They recommend I return it and get another bottle. I want to change brands and not fool around with Dupont. I've seen the Miracle Seal & Enhance ($40 at H.D.) and Stone Specific (Custom Building Products) Stone Enhancer + Sealer ($30 at H.D). Which is recommended?

Thanks!! N.
ngng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

I'll move you over here where the sealing gurus hang out, N.

I'm curious about the actual name of that DuPont product and where you purchased it. You get that from Lowe's?

DuPont now owns StoneTech Professional products, the ones we've sold through our store for years, but they (DuPont) have recently started selling similar tile and stone care products of their own brand in big-box stores. We've had very little feedback on those products that I've seen to date and I'd like to know if that's what you got hold of.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I myself just used the Dupont sealer from Lowes on a stone pool deck, i was impressed with the easy application,beading,and no whitish residue.As for types, either of those would work,folow directions,most will say Miracle is better, but i'm not so sure.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
NIPS

Question sanded grout sealer recommendation

First post guys. Been reading and a lot of good info. I hope this is the correct way to post. I piggy-backed on this one instead of creating another post. I do not have much blog etiquette experience!

I am looking for a durable outdoor grout sealer/penetrator for our BBQ setup. I put down MAPIE Keracolor sanded grout from Lowe's with 1/4" lines around 6" porcelain tile. We have ~108+ summers here in Vegas w/higher surface temperatures. Some of the tile will be in direct sunlight, too.

Looks like several of you guys prefer StoneTech Bullet Proof or Aqua Mix Choice Gold. A few questions?

1) What is your choice and for what reason?

2) Is one better than the other? Why do you feel one is
better than the other?

3) Aqua Mix claims 15 year and Stone Tech 1-3 years pending a few variables.
Is this an indication of the quality of sealer? I don't mind having to reseal
once a year or so as long as it'll prevent stains from wine, beer, tomato
sauce, etc.

4) I just used water to mix the grout. Should I have used a latex fortifier (is
that the correct term? ) to mix with the sanded grout? What is the
benefit to using the latex stuff? More stain resistant?

5) Is it the solids in the sealer what makes the sealer a better stain resistant
product? Which one of the sealers I mentioned has more solids in it?

6) Is there another sealer/penetrator brand out there that is better for my
application?

7) Will these leave the grout with a 'wet look' with out the gloss? That is the look I want, but a good penetrator sealer is priority.

I appreciate your help in advance and thank you for the time.

Tony

Last edited by NIPS; 05-24-2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: wording
NIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
2thman1

Howdy NGNG,

I used some limestone backsplash and countertop (called "seagrass") in my bath remodel. Travertine was used for the bath enclosure, and inexpensive slate was put on the floor. Stone Tech enhancer and sealer were the products I purchased. I put sample applications on scrap material and that helped me choose which formulation worked best for each of the three materials. The up front cost seems expensive and the containters seem small for he money. However the materials went a LONG way for me - I put on extra coats - and I still have a lot left over and the results look tremendous. It's been about 6 months since I finished the job and all the surfaces are holding up very well.

Hope this helps.
2thman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Tony, try to start your own thread, it's simple,just push the Start new thread button,and post as you just did....As far as which is better,more solids and all that, i don't know,i use a few different sealers.Keep in mind they just slow the rate of staining, and in many instances are overrated.If they are guaranteed an extended time it usually involves using a specific cleaner to avoid breaking down the sealer....You would have to use a sealer stated as an (enhancing)type to get the benefit of enhancement....If you used any modern grout it would already have latex in it.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
ngng

Smile

CX, I purchased the Dupont Stone Enhancer from Lowes. It had white clumps in it that did not go away with 'vigorous shaking' as the Dupont rep. told me to do. I returned it and used the H.D. Miracle Seal & Enhance which I was very happy with!

Thanks, N.
ngng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Well, if the Miracle line is working for you, that's fine, but it's not a product that gets very high ratings from the folks hereabouts, N.

Keep in mind that the DuPont product you purchased at Lowe's is not the same as DuPont's StoneTech Professional products you can get from our friends at Tile Experts.com. Different products.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com