Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
Seashell

Question Cutting seashells

I want to saw old, weathered seashells to a suitable size and shape for jewelry. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to do that? Those big power saws scare me. Are there manual tile saws? I know nothing about this.
Seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
gueuzeman

Check out a diamond tech diamond band saw, they make small ones for stained glass craftpersons. Link here- Diamond tech

Also, some woodworkers scroll saws have optional attachments for a small diamond wire and a water feed, you'll have to find that yourself.

gueuze
gueuzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Gunner
Utter Noob

You can find small wet saws for gem and mineral cutting on ebay.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

Shells are pretty soft in the scheme of things, but can chip on the edges some times. You could probably cut them with a coping saw frame and a fine metal cutting blade. There may be special blades for this handsaw. The harder thing is to hold small pieces while you cut it.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
mrjetskey

Smile

my wife makes mobilers and tables ,mirrors etc. she uses a dremel with carbide cutting wheel to cut, and a small burr to drill holes. hope this helps>Marvin

The last of the big spenders,world traveler,international jetsetter,Oil wells drilled,wars started,Virgins converted,Governments overthrown,Revolutions started,governments run,EX_WIVES HOUSEBROKEN,(NO warranty on this last service due to low success rate)PS.That Petrol in your car probably came from a hole in the ground I drilled!! MARVIN DIY'selfer Extroidanare!!!
mrjetskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com