Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
tom.m

Megabond

I have read many threads against using the economy grade thinsets ($5/bag stuff) and many people recommending Kerabond... You'd think in a major metro area of MN I'd be able to find Kerabond, but unfortunately I cannot.

Has anyone used Laticrete Megabond with Dita? I don't see Laticrete mentioned too much in this forum but its the only better grade (going by price) unmodified thinset in my area... HD only offers Custom @ $5/bag, menards offers Keriset @ $5/bag and Lowe's has the Megabond at $12/bag.. Unfortunately the sales people at Lowe's are probably the least trained/knowledgeable vs HD and Menards...

In reading the Laticrete website it states "LATICRETE Mega Bond must be fortified with LATICRETE Mega Bond Additive for exterior use, impervious tiles, porcelain, mosaic..." I'm setting 18" Porcelains...

Thanks in advance...
tom.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hi Tom,

MegaBond is very similar - if not identical to - Laticrete 317, which is a highly regarded, unmodified thinset.

Use MegaBond without the additive if you are setting tile over Ditra - even if your tiles are porcelain.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
wrobs
Registered DIY'er

Laticrete Megabond

Hey Tom,
I faced the same question a while back so I called Schluter and was told to use Laticrete 317. No one here in Augusta, GA. carried it so I was back to square one until I called Laticrete and they told me the MegaBond was eesentially the Lowes "equivalent" of 317. I went back to their website and read the data sheets for the MegaBond and the 317. They are not 'identical' products but they both exceed the ANSI requirements set forth for tile. I called Schluter back and they confirmed the MegaBond would be a good choice.
Whew!!
I used MegaBond and added the latex additive (modified) to adhere the Ditra to the plywood. I used it 'straight' (water only, 'unmodified') to set my wall tiles and I am now in the process setting my porcelain floor tiles with it the same way.
I haven't had any problems with it up to this point.

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
tom.m

Megabond working time...

Thanks guys...

I did use the Megabond earlier today to put my Ditra to the SLC... I wasn't too impressed with the working time. I layed one sheet 8' long which only took 10 minutes or so and then started on the second sheet but had to mix a small batch to finish the second sheet.

I was just in the room and found that the beginning area of the second sheet is not adhered at all to the SLC; the part of the second sheet that utilized the second batch is adhered just fine; as is the first sheet.

I've used Versabond in the past and it worked very nice; no problems at all, but Ditra wants an unmodified... I'm now pulling up half the second sheet and relaying it; I hope it sticks better this time.

I'm a little leary of the time it takes to lay 18" tiles though; I could be wasting a lot of thinset. OR I'll have to mix several batches of this stuff.

Hope yours stuck better than mine did Robert! Although you used it modified...
Old 05-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
tom.m

CBP unmodified thinsets

Now that CBP no longer offers their "Premium Plus" as of January... Does their Masterblend product now takes its place? They don't mention anything on their website. Or should I stay away from the Masterblend also?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:23 AM   #6
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

I wouldn't use any unmodified Custom products. They still make some great modified thinsets though. There may not be a better all-around thinset for your money than VersaBond.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
nforcer2

Tom, unmodified thin-sets are not known for their flexibility or long open times. Why do you think latex modifieds were invented? =)
nforcer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Tom,

Ten minutes (or longer) is much too long to leave thin set uncovered once it's been spread. In the future do an area of about one-third that size. If you allow the spread thin set to lay there longer than a couple minutes you'll have problems with bonding. And that includes modified mortars as well.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
tom.m

Thanks John I appreciate you reviewing with me but the Megabond was only spread for a minute or two... It was in the pail 10-15 minutes - I had just finished laying the first Ditra strip and started on the second...

Nonetheless I did rip up that part, and relayed some new Ditra last night. It is holding just fine today. I guess I'll just mix very small batches when laying my tiles. OR... you have stated that you've used Versabond over Ditra without any problem. I know it will void the Ditra warranty but I'm only laying a 6X8 area of floor ($360 of tile), should I consider using it for my 18X18 porcelain tiles? I used Versabond on the shower walls in this project and on several other occasions with good results and good working time...

Last edited by tom.m; 05-14-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Adding comment
Old 05-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
kerdibird

Don't mean to answer the question for John but since I ain't scared of the tile po Versabond will work quite nicely
kerdibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #11
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I've said it at least a hundred times, maybe a thousand. VersaBond works.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
tom.m

Thanks Art & John. I just finished cutting and dry laying my entire floor (saves on saw rental costs)... I'll be setting the tiles tomorrow, and I think I will go to Versabond. Is there any special precautions I should take, or just follow the bag instructions as usual?

Another thing; some times I wonder if all the work is really worth the effort. I love doing my own renovation work so I didn't even get estimates on the project... but for giggles tonight I researched some info on tilesetting costs via the net and it seems that the tile cutting and setting probably would have been relatively inexpensive to have it "professionally" done... the info I got and my calcs figured my 3'x4' porcelain shower (and ceiling), 6.5'x8' porcelain floor, 7'x3' drop in tub deck and face, and the 7'x2' stone half-wall behind the tub would have only cost about $1200 (not including materials and prep work of course). No angled walls/floor or such; 18x18 porcelain tiles (but hard as steel!!!). Does this even sound in the ball park? I thought this project would have been double that cost for the tiling.

Nonetheless, doing it myself provides great satisfaction and I really appreciate all the help that the people on this forum have given me...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase