Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 12-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #76
sdk

Just a follow up and a thank you to Gueuze and Jim. The lack of water was the problem and once I got the lines cleared the saw worked wonderfully- straight cut, chip free ends, etc. It's quite a testament to the saw that it can survive the abuse it has received as a rental and still work great when cleaned up. I need to rent it again this weekend so I'm hoping it doesn't go out this week and get jacked up again.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #77
TGR

I do not own a dewalt saw but my friend had his dewalt set up next to my Target today. The dewalt is relatively new to him but he said he likes it so far. He has had the saw for about six months. No matter what 10 inch blade he puts on his dewalt he gets less than perfect cuts. Mostly out of square cuts, the kind were the blade snaps back at the end of a cut. I have also experience the same types of out of square cuts on my Target. I tried every blade type out on the market. J-slot, turbo, thin kerf, thick kerf, soft matrix, hard matrix, I even tried blade stiffeners and blades with built in stiffeners. I finely found the answer for my saw. Run a small diameter blade. After all that money spent on blades I have found a 7 inch husky (yes that is a home cheapo blade) works better than any blade I have used. The blade is only $25 bucks. It doesnít last as long because it has less diamond matrix on it. Any 7 inch blade will have less matrix on it than a 10 inch. But for straight cuts and at a cost of only 25 smacks who cares if it doesnít last as long. Any way now for my dewalt tip. Run a small 7 inch blade. We took his new $80 felker tm-7 blade off his dewalt. This blade was cutting out of square with a snap back at the end of cuts. We put my $25 7 inch husky blade on his dewalt and the saw cut perfect. It was nuts on 24 inch porcelain. He said that saw had never cut that good. Thatís my dewalt tip!
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #78
duneslider
Utah Tile Contractor

My DeWalt cuts square. The original blade sucked but everything else has been fine.

You sure you don't have water supply problems?

Tile Contractor
Positive Tile and Stone
Salt Lake City, Utah
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #79
Houston Remodeler

I unboxed my new dewalt today. The first thing you are supposed to do is to bolt it down to the frame. After reading these posts, before bolting it down I set it over the raised posts and tried to give it a little wiggle. I found it had a very slight amount of play. So I hand tightened the bolts and grabbed a framing square. It took about 5 minutes to get it set just right so I could tighten the bolts down. Still have yet to cut with it. I am not liking the blade depth bar that is at the far end of the table, preventing from having the blade set lower below table height. We find that for harder stones, a lower depth of cut works much better. I may be grinding down this block of metal.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #80
gueuzeman

The Pope needs a DeWalt for Christmas...

and a helper.

From MMSN/ wire services--=

VATICAN CITY - A woman jumped the barriers in St. Peter's Basilica and knocked down Pope Benedict XVI as he walked down the main aisle to begin Christmas Eve Mass on Thursday.

The 82-year-old pope quickly got up and was unhurt, said a Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Ciro Benedettini.

Footage aired on Italy's RAI state TV showed a woman dressed in a red hooded sweatshirt vaulting over the wooden barriers and rushing toward the pope before being swarmed by bodyguards.

Benedict lost his miter and his staff in the fall.

---------------------------------

So he can plunge, but not miter?

Merry Christmas, indeed.
gueuzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #81
Crestone Tile
Gonzo!

good times

"Shut it down!"
Crestone Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #82
Tile Trowelki

Not to mention you get more leverage with a 7" blade; it's like using a lower gear for more power.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #83
Dan Clark

TGR,

That sounds like cart-wheel alignment. Make sure they are aligned. That is absolutely critical.

Check out the rest of this thread and this one: http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=66395 (includes pics).

Regards,

Dan.

I am... Tileless in Seattle
Dan Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #84
Chad Deiter Construction
Making Cents of It All

Send a message via Yahoo to Chad Deiter Construction
Just wanted to mention this . The past few weeks here in Cali we've had a little rain. Now I have covered the saw up at night when I leave it on a job outside. But some moisture has made it's into the inner workings of the motor and when it get's like this it's tripping the breaker instantly. All I've had to do is blow some air in the opening to the left of the handle for the plunge cuts. Works great right after. But just something to keep in mind if the saw is tripping the breakers over and over.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #85
leda

dewalt 24000 heavy porcelain work

just finishing a 24"x 7/16 porcelain tile job with 1/16" grout joints with this saw. i realize this is an old thread but developed a tip and some issues.

i found that to get square cuts and rips, using the plunge option worked far better and faster. it also is extremely handy for lining up tapers and one of the best features on this bad boy. i float the blade and score the cut several times, probably half depth at least before locking down and finishing the cut. there is some blow back of water from the slot but what the hell. without doing this, the motor was bogging down and the blade was wandering off line even when going real slow. i am using a pricey alpha blade.

that's it for tips...now for the editorial.

this saw is woefully underpowered for heavy porcelain work.

i have not found a solution to the sliding table slopping around a 1/16" or so in a twisting sort of way. i am dealing with 1/16" grout joints... a 32nd matters to me. i also would like to see a longer fence on a saw being sold for cutting larger tiles and some way to adjust and line up the little auxiliary wing table to get it perfectly flat to the slider. water overspray control good. rubber work platform oustanding.

while i am generally pleased with the saw, i question its durability with all the plastic and alloy parts plus the loud direct drive motor. my other saw is an mk which is bulletproof, belt drive, far more powerful and way quieter when running. all saws make noise when cutting but the dewalt whines like a circular saw when turned on (which, after all, is what it is). admittedly, the mk does not have the capacity for the larger format tiles but i am sure keeping it as my standard tool. i feel the dewalt is built to a price point and is adequate for most tasks with some compromises. for the money it is ok.

i have not tried a smaller diameter blade as mentioned elsewhere. btw, i was told by a vendor that dewalt is considering a stronger motor. hey mr. dewalt, are you out there? i would pay more for some upgrades to an adequate tool. ignore the bean counters.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #86
mountain eagle
n00b

Looks like I'll need to go back and read this thread from the begining

I just scored a barely used D24000 with all the extras from CL for $275. Homeowner special from the burbs. Just couldn't pass it up............ I'll see about taking all the tips and getting it set up in the next few days

my smugmug gallery
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #87
Houston Remodeler

Very Lucky

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #88
mountain eagle
n00b

Better lucky than good.

Wow, at least there were a few good gems tucked in with the "spirited" "discussion"...........

Can't wait.... I know my uncle was hoping I would just store their saw for a while but I'll be bringing it back to him I think.......

my smugmug gallery
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #89
jnugget

Just got the dewalt 24000 .. when I turn it on, the blade hits the spray nozzles then its ok . . is this normal?!?

Last edited by jnugget; 07-21-2011 at 06:24 PM.
jnugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #90
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Is Massapequa part of Lon Gisland, John?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com