Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
ahovde

Sanded Caulk Cure Time?

Hi All,
In preparation for grouting my new shower surround with sanded grout, I used Polyblend Sanded Caulk to fill all of the 1/4 inch wall-to-wall and wall-to-pan corner joints. The caulk has been in for 3 days but still feels very soft and pliable in some areas (it can be depressed with finger tip leaving an indent). I used a damp sponge to smooth the joints but I don't think I over saturated the caulk with water. Should I expect the caulk to cure to the consistency/firmness of a non-sanded silicone caulk, or does sanded caulk tend to stay a little "mushy"?

Also, some of the caulk joints are a deeper than I would prefer. Is it okay to apply another bead of sanded caulk over the existing caulk joint to bring it closer to flush with the tile?

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Andy
ahovde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
RevBubba
Interior Painter / Faux Tile Setter

Andy -

The sanded caulk I've used was acrylic-based, meaning the base is of the same basic chemistry as a typical painter's caulk like the Alex product line.

This type of caulk does have a whole different set of characteristics, it does not apply or cure in the same way as a silicone. Acrylic caulks will "skin over" within an hour or two, but it can take quite some time for a thick bead to cure all the way through its thickness - and it absolutely will shrink as it cures. But given proper ime & conditions for curing, it should not remain "mushy" - a fingertip shouldn't dent it, but a fingernail will.

It should be fine to apply a fresh bead of sanded caulk directly over a CLEAN & recent sanded caulk application. Due to the shrinkage of the caulk, this is a very common practice.

Pro Contributor, www.painterforum.com

"Measure the mind's height by the shadow it casts." - Robert Browning
RevBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
ahovde

Bubba,

Thanks so much for the information - that puts my mind at ease. I checked the caulk again after reading your post and it does seem to be firming up, albeit slowly. I'll give it a few more days and see if I need to run another bead before I grout.

Now I just have to explain to the wife why the bathroom's going to take another week. ;-)

Andy
ahovde is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com