Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
JKL123

Will stone tiles be too heavy for my shower?

We had an addition put onto our house last summer and are now tiling the shower. I'm worried that if we use stone tiles for the walls, it will be too heavy and the whole things will fall through the floor. Ok I'm exaggerating but how do I know if the shower will be too heavy or will be ok?

The addition on the house, which was originally built in 1927, involved adding a partial second floor (sort of like taking the old attic and making it bigger and livable). The new shower area will be on new joists that go over the original house and original framing. I think the new joists are 8" but I'm not sure.

We are doing a walk-in shower stall (no tub), so the mortar bed for the floor is already a couple hundred pounds (several bags of mortar). The shower walls will be about 100 sq feet, so about 100 stone tiles. The whole thing has gotta be several hundred pounds when it's done.

Is this all going to be too heavy for the framing? Other people I've talked to said their contractors "wouldn't let" them put heavy tubs etc. on second floors, or that they had to double up the floor joists under the shower. Our framing was done months ago and the walls and floors are all done, finished, etc so doubling up the joists at this point would require ripping out a lot of material.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
JKL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Wynne

You can use this site's Deflecto tool and that will help you determine if your current flooring will support natural stone.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com