Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
brer08

thin set dry time requirements

I recently had ceramic tile installed on 2 bathroom floors and tile tumbled stone backsplash in kitchen (2 days ago). I do not think the tile installers allowed the mortar to dry allotted time before grouting, as they were in hurry to finish. I am concerned as to what damage this may cause me in future. They used a thin set, powder mortar (they mixed) and sanded grout on all applications. I have not found any info on this problem. I am to seal the grout myself, but want to be careful that mortar and grout have thoroughly set. In some areas, they allowed 3 - 4 hours before applying grout, other areas, not even 1 - 2 hours. Please advise. Thank you.
brer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
tileman2000
New England Tile Man

Did they use a rapid set mortar?If not,the thinset needs a good 24 hrs. before grouting.the sealer can be applied 48-72 hrs after grouting...depending on which sealer you have.Some vary from 2 -3 days..read the label ...cheers
Old 04-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
brer08

very doubtful, as I heard that rapid-set is much more expensive. Just wondering what difficulties may be caused by not allowing proper dry time on mortar before grouting? some of the grout is drying with white patches in places. should I use a colored sealant to fix discoloration? thank you.
brer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Assuming they didn't screw up the tile by walking on it before it "set," it shouldn't be much of a problem. In fact, if the grout was set while the morter was still curing, it'll all bond together and be quite strong!

Avanti Tile & Stone
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Cats As They Are Subtle And Will Piss On Your Computer..."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
esobocinski

brer (you have first name?), i wouldn't panic about patchy grout color just yet. Moisture differences will give you different shades of the same grout color. If the "white" patches are spreading as the grout dries, you might just be seeing which parts of your job are drying the quickest. It's been another day, so if this is true the grout should look rather better today.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com