Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 03-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
goodguy
Contractor

Dens Guard vs. Dens Shield

Anybody seen the Dens Guard at Lowes? I have been using Dens Shield for about 2 or 3 years now and was wondering what the differece is, if any.
goodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
duneslider
Utah Tile Contractor

densguard isn't a tile backer. It has the fiberglass front and back, no "waterproof" side. The densshield has the fiberglass on one side and the waterproof on the other. I believe the core is the same though. I have been using the densguard under kerdi and have been happy with it. I stuck a piece out in the yard about a month ago and it has been rained on and snowed on and still looks good as new.

I would be interested to know if any of the liquid membrane companies okay their products to be used over the densguard in showers. Just curious.

Tile Contractor
Positive Tile and Stone
Salt Lake City, Utah
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
pitterpat
Bathroom Remodels and Schluterville Grad

Why using Densguard under Kerdi?
pitterpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
Raymondo

howdy all

I saw the same thing at my local Lowe's and sure enough they have made a proprietary version of denshield and I do believe they are calling it densguard. I called georgia pacific from the Lowe's and talked to a great tech guy named john at GP who told me that the board is exactly the same as denshield and that products that it is spec'd to work with will work with it as well. As far as liquid membrane that works with it, Merkrete Hydroguard One is spec'd to work with this board, either version, for shower waterproofing applications. I use this system often and feel good about guaranteeing it.
Raymondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
duneslider
Utah Tile Contractor

It appears that I am mistaken. I have been using densarmor. Not densguard. GP's site does show densshield and densguard and both show they can be used as tile backers.

My mistake.

Pat,
I have been using the densarmor cause it is stiffer than regular sheet rock. I like the walls to feel just a little stiffer when I am working on them.

Tile Contractor
Positive Tile and Stone
Salt Lake City, Utah
Old 03-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
wopachop

raymondo that is interesting info the tech guy gave you. i had both in my hands today and wondered the same thing. (accidentally bought densGuard thinking it was densArmor plus)

the densShield i got is in 4x5 size with a grey front side and yellow fiberglass back. the densgaurd is 3x5 with blue front side and yellow fiberglass back.

on the gp website they talk about densShield like its a 'premium' tile backer over the densGuard i think there was another membrane but maybe im mistaken.

they are not 'exactly the same' as the rep said. unless gp uses different color dyes for the same exact material but that just seems like a waste of money from a manufacturing standpoint.

cant wait to learn whats up with these very similar products
wopachop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
duneslider
Utah Tile Contractor

Wopachop, You have a name we can call you?

Welcome to the forum.

Why do you say the guard is diff than the shield? I read the specs and it appears the same to me. Just manufactured blue to go with the lowes logo.

Also, check your sheets, they are 32" by 60". I didn't realize it until the other day I held up the sheet to the area it was going and noticed I was four inches short!

Tile Contractor
Positive Tile and Stone
Salt Lake City, Utah
Old 03-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

Bryan,
where are you getting Densarmor up there?

I saw some new material today in a shower. Not sure what it was but it was definitely not sheetrock or green board. Glad to see some builders are finally conforming to the new IRC/IBC standards.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #9
wopachop

duneslider...wow what a good name you ride? i pretty much work my ass off so that i can ride a motorcycle at glamis, ca if you ride dunes im sure youve heard of that place.

you can call me Tony i guess but my friends call me 'wop' or 'chop" i dont care call me sally if you want

thought the densGaurd was diff cause of the size and color. you are right its 32" wide not 36". the website says they make it for shower surrounds so that size makes sense. also thought there was one less membrane need to look that up...

not making jokes: do you really think the denGuard is blue to match lowes logo? not sure man i would think it would cost the manufacture too much money to make 2 colors of the same product...
Old 03-21-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
Hammy

Send a message via AIM to Hammy
Hey if Lowes will market it for them, they would probably make it purple. To change color on a big run cost nothing to do. Next it will be orange for you know who. Hammy

Professionally Built Mold - Mildew - Moisture Resistant Showers
Using Laticrete & Schluter Products

Click here to Visit us on Face Book
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:26 AM   #11
goodguy
Contractor

Thanks!
goodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #12
duneslider
Utah Tile Contractor

Tony, wop, or chop,

I do ride, haven't been to glamis but it is on my list of dune destinations to visit before I die.

For the right amount of money any company will color any product for you. MK saws at HD are orange! A little dye in a run costs very little.

There are a lot of Lowes stores, I am sure they are stocking millions of square feet of densguard. Although, my area has densshield.

Juan,
densarmor is at all the lowes around here. They don't have any "green" board anymore and only carry the densarmor. Several of the builders (low end) up here are putting up densshield in the shower/tub areas. It is nice, I redguard the seams and penetrations. Sure makes for fast jobs when it is already up when I get there.
What did you see? Was it white and a little rougher feel than paper facing? If so, it was densarmor. I don't think it says anything on the white side, only the back yellow side.

Tile Contractor
Positive Tile and Stone
Salt Lake City, Utah
Old 03-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #13
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Old 03-21-2008, 10:39 PM   #14
wopachop

rd tile thats hilarious reading those faces like a phrase..

believe raymondo is correct i was wrong. inspected both very close today it looks like lowes got um to paint it blue and make a 32" wide board.

although the back of the densShield was a much brighter yellow and the fiberglass had a different grain to it but very similar. i got pics...does this site allow attachments maybe i dont have enough posts
Old 03-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #15
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Tony or Wop or Chop.

Please go to the UserCP above, find Edit Signature and enter whichever of those names you'd prefer we use here so folks will know, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com