Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
sjones

Transition between carpet & tile with large opening

Hi and thank you for the website and information. I'm getting ready to tile my kitchen floor. I have a large door or opening (about 13 feet) between my kitchen and living room. The existing carpet (living room ) and my new tile are both on a slab. My plan is to tile the kitchen myself and then have the carpet replaced after with the best pad and very good carpet. I know Schluter and MD, as well as others, make some nice metal transitions, but my question is this: Would it be better to use the trim shaped like an "L" where the carpet butts right up to it and the bottom edge is under the tile in the mortor bed or the type that looks like an L (actually more like a Z, but not z bar), but has a top edge for you to tuck the carpet under and the bottom edge is under the tile in the mortor? I assume after the tile job that the new carpet will possibly be a bit higher than the tile? Also, my local store has the metal (MD) transitions in 8ft. lengths. With the opening between the two rooms being larger than 8ft. would you just butt two pieces together and does that look good? Thanks!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
bbcamp

Have you considered eliminating the metal trim and tucking the carpet down against the tile? A tackless strip is fastened to the slab leaving a little gap from the tile, then the carpet is stretched, trimmed and tucked down.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
JTG

SJ
Being that you are getting new carpet use the Schluter Schiene (L shape) for the tile edge. Depending on the color of the tile and carpet use either the silver or gold finish. They do only come in 8' sections but if you put together factory edge to factory edge you are going to be the only person who can tell.
Do Search here and you will find a thread with pictures that show what the edge will look like. Try carpet tile transition.
Good Luck
JTG

Bob posted before I could get my post edited. I would use the metal trim when you have the carpet tile transition in an area like this that has a lot of traffic. We believe that with that metal edge (you hardly see it with a Schiene) it protects that tile. If a high heel or some other object impacts that tile right at that edge it will not chip or break. There is support.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
djg
dave

This page should help. Sometimes its hard to find the right thread.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=32943
Old 03-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
sjones

Hey thanks Bob, Jerry and Dave for the help.

Although I've done quite a bit of tiling I'm still just a DIY'r. Mostly I've done small and large bathrooms, but also a kitchen and sunroom in my old home. I usually used a marble threshold of some sort. An opening between two rooms this big kind of scares me. The tiling itself is no problem, but obviously you can ruin a beautiful job with the details. Even though the Schluter trims mentioned above have been out for a long time I had not seen used until recently. It was between a dining room and living room and looked very nice.

Jerry I think I'll take your advice and use the Schluter (scheine) "L" shape.

One more question and I know this one will sound dumb, but it has been a couple of years since I last tiled. When I went to Lowes to look at the various mortors they seem to be carrying all new name brands since the last time. Is there a mortor you would recommend over another? I'm putting down porcelain on concrete slab. I also have a Home Depot near by if there is something better there.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 03-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
MudMaker
Karl Marxist-Gettin ready for the Revolution

s,
Quote:
I'm putting down porcelain on concrete slab
This begs the questions: How old is the concrete? cracks?
I use Versabond (HD) for darn near everything and haven't had issues. I do like MegaFlex though but it's pricey. Twice the cost but better to work with.

mm (aka "Paco")
MudMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
sjones

Mudmaker,

It's about seven years old. No cracks, in very good condition. It had linoleum, but I removed that and scraped up the glue. Just about ready to go. Is the Versabond available at Lowes or Home Depot and does it require any additive or just water?

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
sjones

I'm having trouble scaping up the glue in some large areas. Is there something anyone could recommend to help turn the glue loose that held the linoleum down?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
HotinOKC

A heat gun helps with a sharp floor scraper, or some JASCO adhesive remover. The JASCO is strong stuff, so make sure you got plenty of ventalation.

JASCO can be found in the flooring dept of HD and/or the paint department.

The heat gun will be in the paint and/or hardware deptartment.

Versabond is sold at HD.

Support our Troops!
http://www.dav.org
HotinOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #10
sjones

I finally got all the glue scraped up As my tiling job nears I'm now back to wondering about the 12ft. long transition between my living room and kitchen. I want to go with the Schluter Scheine "L" shape. My concern is what the height of new carpet and pad will be (having the carpet installed after I get the tile in) as compared to the height of the tile with both installed on concrete. The top edge of the metal trim should be even with the height of the installed tile correct? I know a couple of you said the Schluter Scheine was good to go, but I'm concerned about the height where the carpet will butt up to the metal strip. Any thoughts? Am I just worrying for no reason?

Also, the Versabond at HD, is that the Versabond Flex? And, I see on the bag it says "Smooth concrete slabs must be roughened to ensure a good bond."
Is that really necesarry? I've never done that in the past when laying over concrete, but I'm not a pro either. What say the pros?

Thanks for all the help...

Steve

Last edited by sjones; 03-25-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #11
sjones

I'm going to purchase my stuff tomorrow and start my job on Friday. Any thoughts on my last post anyone?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 06:16 AM   #12
matman
Tile contractor

Steve,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
My concern is what the height of new carpet and pad will be (having the carpet installed after I get the tile in) as compared to the height of the tile with both installed on concrete.
You're correct, it will be different and it could be better if you're detail oriented. It could be fixed with time and money. SLC the entire slab up about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an in., . Your tile install will be flatter and where the tile meets the carpet the height will be correct.

A fine tilesetter told me recently '' Quality takes time'', He's right. If you want to spend the time and the money, and you want perfect, this is the way to go.

PS
SLC under the tile only, not the entire slab, One more, if you have the room for the additional height. Dishwasher will still fit?

Last edited by matman; 03-27-2008 at 06:41 AM.
matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #13
sjones

The Job is Finished

I finished up the tile and got the trim in in about 4 days. The Schluter Scheine worked out very well. All the advice and reading on that was spot on. The carpet butts up to it nicely and looks very good. Overall I think it turned out very well. I'd throw some pictures on here if I could figure out how.

I wanted to say "thank you!" to everyone who helped out with my questions and for the great website. Sorry it took so long to get back to post this.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com