Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-16-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
enetprof

How to handle outside corners with PVC liner

Hello Forum,

This place rocks!

Like many others, I have been reading this forum for man months, have taken the plunge on a new shower, and now have a question. I have searched quite a bit, and have John's book, but I have not seen where anyone has covered how to do outside corners, within the shower footprint, with the PVC liner. The inside corners are easy, and simply require folding the liner. I am hoping there is a way to handle outside corners as easily without cutting the liner, but I am guessing such a method does not exist, so looking for advice here.

I am finishing my basement in a 5 year old house and putting in a tile shower (concrete floor, not sealed). I am using 6mil plastic behind 1/2 inch hardibacker for my walls, and have pretty much followed the standard forum/book method for framing and laying my first layer of mud. I am now calculating my pan layout, and I need to figure out this outside corner prior to moving forward.

Also, I have read it mentioned that you can create your own curb/dam corners, but I do not see how this can be done without leaving a tiny hole at the point of all the folds, between the glued pieces. If anyone has experience with this, please let me know. I am thinking that I need to purchase 2 dam corners for the curb, and one outside dam corner as well. But, if I can construct these with my excess PVC liner, then that would be best.

Images attached...

Thanks!

Matt
Attached Images

enetprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

Matt, this is one of those cases where I would opt for a Kerdi membrane instead. You could easily wrap the curb and seal it without any worries. Or use any other liquid membrane - Mapelastic HPG, Redgard, Hydroban, etc.

About the only thing I can think of is cutting the liner around that corner and laminating another piece over the top with your PVC cement. Those corner dams may not be large enough to cover the corner and provide sufficient height for the liner. The main issue here is adding that extra thickness on the walls then putting hardi over the top. The wall will bulge out a bit so you will need to trim back the studs to accommodate the extra thickness in that area. If you choose this method, make sure you water test it and be prepared to try it again if there is leakage.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a better idea.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome, Matt.

You can purchase outside corners for the PVC liner if you want to build a shower using traditional methods of moisture containment. Take a look at this link to an article in the Liberry for installing shower liners. The same outside corner that John is using for the dam (photo 9) is what you'd need in that corner you're asking about. Buy them the same place you buy the liner from, although you may need to special order them.

Or you can use Kerdi or Noble as a waterproofing membrane directly under the tile. I'm telling you, once you try this method, you'll be converted.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:37 AM   #4
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

The Kerdi membrane would obviously be better for any situation. But if you want to use the normal liner; cut the pan just like it shows in the article from the above post. Cut two pieces large enough to extend past the curb/ and also overlap 1' on the heighth.(i.e.- if your going up the wall 8' cut your pieces 9'.) Then glue one of these underneath your liner, and one on top using pvc liner glue stuff. I think it's called x-15? It will form around the corner if you push down on it and hold it untill it sets some. On yours just do the corner; then worry about the curb. Once this sets, it will be sealed.
Definitely notch the studs a little deeper.
Definitely water test it.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
MudGuy
Pass the Mud

Morning Matt -

Why not pull the curb back in alignment with the wall?

I like the detail, but you will need to cut and piece the pan liner at that corner, as already discussed.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
enetprof

Thanks for the info folks. I looked at the Kerdi system quite a bit before starting this project, but opted for the more cost-effective solution. Looks like I am headed down the glue & patch path with this one.

MudGuy, my wife and I are hoping we can get by without a shower door with the one foot depth of the entry, so that is why the curb is placed out that far. I was going to make it deeper than a foot, but the door swinng to the bathroom becomes issue, and we didn't want the whole bathroom to be a shower. If too much water splashes out then we will put a door in.

Scuttlebuttrp, thanks for the info. I am a bit confused on the purpose of cutting/gluing 2 identical pieces (one on top of liner, one under). That effectively gives a double thickness around the outside corner, correct? Or am I misinterpreting your comments? You also mentioned something that I had not thought of - running the patch pieces all the way over the curb. That effectively makes this outside corner one big long curb corner.

I definitely will be giving this a 24+ water test when I have it all done.

Thanks!

Matt
Old 03-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
jim mclaughlin

Matt,

What program did you use for your images?
Follow the directions in preparing the liner for your patches.

www.lovemybathroom.com
jim mclaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
enetprof

Hi Jim,

I actually got the image idea from another peron on this forum that used it for their images. It is a free app from Google called SketchUp. It really is a nice little app that allows you to create 3D stuff really quickly. They have millions of pre-designed items like the sinks and toilets that I used, and also have all the textures like the tiles that I used. I just created the walls. Pretty simple. Takes about 2 hours of playing with it to figure out how to make stuff.

Later,

Matt
Old 03-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

You didn't misinterpret. Actually you would have a triple thickness at the corner and a doublethickness down the wall. The reason for this is I'm a paranoid person who isn't a plumber. I saw this method here somewhere at this site. Someone doing the curb this way. Thought it looked good so I tried it. It works. I did one that had to be officially tested and inspected by a real building inspector. It passed. I'm happy. I continue to do it.
Your patches will stretch enough when pressed down to form around that corner. Just hold them till they dry. Make sure you don't glue your fingers in place though.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase