Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
tkubik

Need some post grouting tips on clean up & sealing

Hi Everyone,

I just finished grouting my mosaic tile walk-in shower floor with Polyblends Sanded grout. I waited the prescribed 2 hours before buffing off the haze with a dry cloth. Unfortunately, no matter how much elbow grease I put into it, there is still quite a bit of haze. I didn't want to use any liquids on it yet as it has only been 24 hours. So I need some advice:

- What is the best type of scrubbing device to get the haze up? The scotts green heavy duty scour pads seem to work well but they leave a green haze behind. Tried white nylon scrub pads but they don't do much. Stainless steel wool perhaps?

- I had a 3/8" gap between wall tile and the floor tile so I ran a thick bead of grout in this gap all the way around. I bought the poly blends matching sanded caulk with the thought of running this over this over the grout to waterproof it. Is this a good idea or am I better off just using sealer on the gap? I also heard of people in this board using the GE Clear silicone over these gaps..

- How long should i wait before sealing the grout? 48 hours? Should I have the haze off before attempting to seal?

This is the second time this shower floor is being done. The first time the contractor used the wrong mortar and tiles lifted. He had scheduling challenges so I decided to grout it to get it done so any advice to ensure this turns out fine would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

Tom,
Some grouting tips - get the haze off earlier. Now ya gotta use a haze remover (HD).
Quote:
I had a 3/8" gap between wall tile and the floor tile so I ran a thick bead of grout in this gap
Use PolyBlend caulk where there are planes intersecting, not grout.

Quote:
How long should i wait before sealing the grout? 48 hours?
Sealers have differing times but it will say on the container you purchase.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
tkubik

I have some acid I was planning to use to get Haze off. Should i give it 48 hours of curing before letting loose with chemicals?

Since I already grouted the change in plane, Can I just run the sanded caulk over top the grout?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
Mike2

What type of acid do you have, Tom? Some require a 7 day wait time over fresh grout or else you risk "burning" it.

Have you tried straight white vinegar? If not, try that now. Let it dwell on the surface for 10 minutes or so, then hit it with a white scrubbie.

I'm guessing what you have there is actually grout solids and not haze. Haze can usually be buffed off after 2 or more hours. Actual solids must be removed within the first 30 to 45 minutes.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
tkubik

I have some sulfamic? acid from the tile store nearby. I was planning on trying vinegar first. Should i do this now even though it has only been 24 hours since I grouted? Or should I wait longer for the joints to cure a bit more?

It is a very very thin layer of solids I guess b/c it won't budge with a normal rag but I can scratch at it with my finger nail.

Last edited by tkubik; 03-16-2008 at 07:11 PM.
tkubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
Mike2

Do the vinegar scrub now, Tom. Cleanup gets harder with each passing day. Afterwards regardless of outcome, neutralize the acid based vinegar by rinsing well using about 25% ammonia and water.

As far as the sulfamic acid is concerned, follow the manufacturer's directions. Allowing the grout to cure 7 to 10 days is petty much a standard recommendation.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
tkubik

Ok running out to grab a jug now. To rinse it off after application, should I just run the shower or is that too much water at this point in the drying process (36 hours).
Old 03-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Mike2

I don't see a problem turning the shower on. Right now, getting the grout dry enough to seal is the least of your worries. Getting that "haze" cleaned off is significantly more important.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #9
tkubik

Ok did the deed. Looks pretty good althrough they are still a bit wet. My scrub pad had a lot of residue on it so I think i got a good chunk of the hze. Sprayed in some ammonia and rinsed it with the shower head and then sponged all the water into the drain so as not to soak the tiles too much.

Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know how things turn out in the mornng.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #10
Mike2

Sounds like you're headed down the right track. If you still see some "haze" left after things dry out a bit, do the vinegar thing again on those spots. Don't forget the ammonia neutralizing rinse afterwards.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #11
tkubik

Haze is pretty much gone this morning. Sealer says to wait 7-10 days for full cure before sealing grout. We're dying to use this shower.. Can we use the shower for the next week and then let it sit for a day before sealing next week or are we best to completely leave it alone for a week?
Old 03-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #12
bbcamp

Tom, using the shower now runs the risk of getting soap and skin oil in the unsealed grout. You need to be patient.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
tkubik

I have the contractor who did all the tiling (i just did the grouting) hounding me for payment and I didn't want to pay until I had used the shower a few times to make sure there are no leaks, big puddles etc - especially given the issues we had the first time the laid the floor. So worst case, can I run it a few times and then give it a vinegar scrub in a weeks time before sealing it to get rid of any oils?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase