Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-18-2003, 07:19 AM   #1
pmw

RIALTO - a porcelain tile sold at Lowes.......

I’m thinking of installing RIALTO (a popular porcelain tile sold at Lowes) in the shower.
the tile does have ‘pits’, but we like the look. is this tile appropriate for a shower stall?

my wife and I have spent allot of time studying what tile we wanted to install in our bathroom. we have already installed the floor tile (16x16), and we planned on putting the (12x12) in the shower and the tub surround, and the (6x6) on the shower floor and in some design features. all of these tile are RIALTO beige.

the underlying question is whether these ‘pits’ are appropriate for the shower because they could be a breeding ground for mold. the pits are quite small – IMO ……. now today I called several Lowes stores and spoke to numerous sales clerks familiar with the product;
they stated that the shower installation was just fine. the tile is rated a 5 and has an extra hard finish, it can be used in the interior or the exterior, including commercial applications.. one clerk said that the pits were no worse then the grout in collecting residue and to be sure to seal it. we are being very careful not to make any serious mistakes and would like to know if anyone has had any experience with this particular tile in the shower.

to the mudmeister: I thank you for your reply, but you seem to be unfamiliar with this product. I see where there are a least a half dozen Lowes in the Houston area. would you please check this tile out the next time your in the store. would appreciate it!
pmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2003, 07:25 AM   #2
pmw

perry is my name..........

'a democracy is like three wolves and a lamb voting on
what to have for dinner'
Old 04-18-2003, 08:11 AM   #3
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

C'mon Bill, who do you think your kidding? No stray women around here. BTW way where's what's her name she doesn't seem to be doing jack shit.

And don't go saying that's Chappaqua, that's an old Secret Service trick, misspelling the town's name.

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!

Last edited by flatfloor; 04-18-2003 at 08:18 AM.
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 08:18 AM   #4
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Hello Perry, While I am not familiar with the particular tile you are talking about,I am familiar with pitted porcelains.The tile is obviously plenty hard and i would check 1 thing for certain.Calibers.Take and empty a box and measure the amount of variation you get on the tile.Measure both directions on each tile and record your measurements.This will tell you if the caliber within each box is acceptible as far as variations in size go.if you have 1/16" or less variation.Go ahead and use it.You will need to be very concious of cleaning the tile thoroughly because of the pits but the tile itself will be fine.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:52 AM   #5
hald

Rialto

I used rialto vcap on my bathrrom project so I'm very familiar with the tile product. I think the quality is excellent as is the price. The lines and pits are dark brown and seems to me wouldn't be much of a cleaning issue as they are very shallow. I think the 6x6 would be on the large side for a shower floor; I'd worry about slipping and falling. I definitely would not put sealer on the floor tile before testing the result - I've found most sealers will make a tile very slippery. Standing in your shower might be like trying to stand up on ice. -Hal
hald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 02:03 PM   #6
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

I missed that you were using 6x6 on the floor.Way to catch that Hal
While a 6x6 can be used on a shower floor,the pan work has to be very precise.It is difficult for an experianced installer to put 6x6 on a shower floor.I would suggest a 3x3 tile or less for the shower floor.I am sure you can find something complimentary that will work.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:08 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Perry,

I stopped into Lowes about a year ago. Are you asking me to change my habits.

I LIVE in Home Depot.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 03:13 PM   #8
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

There was another thread regarding this Rialto in the bathroom / shower. You may want to search for "rialto"...

Anyway, I just did an install with the Rialto white. Good tile, good price, and the pits shouldn;t be a problem as long as you grout over them.

John doesn't like this in the shower ( and I understand) but this tile is nothing like the "unfilled" travertine that has more pits than solid areas.

Jason
Old 04-19-2003, 04:35 PM   #9
gpzrider
Tile Contractor -- Charleston, S.C.

If you are set on using the 6x6 on the shower floor; I would move the drain near one end of the floor and pitch the floor flat and toward the drain and then 'finagle' it around the front portion to pitch it properly

Dal-Tile has a Gold Rush Mosaics 2x2 tile that goes well with the Rialto.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:40 PM   #10
pmw

RIALTO

i spent allot of time researching the shower pan construction on the john bridge forum. after studying every detail, I feel very confident and thank you for all the good advice. it seems that the big problem is the choosing of the tile – the color scheme and those darn ‘pits’ in the RIALTO PORCELAIN. I have decided that the 6X6 RIALTO on the shower floor presented to many problems so I’ve decided to opt for probably a 2X2; possibly the Gold Rush Mosaics suggested by ‘easy rider’.

now the big question is whether I should put the 12X12 RIALTO on the shower walls. the tile does have some small ‘pits’. I didn’t quite understand that caliber info ‘tile man’ was explaining. I assume that he was referring to the ‘gage’ or the depth of the ‘pits’? …..and should I grout over the ‘pits’ as suggested by ‘jason’?

SHOULD I INSTALL THE 12 X 12 RIALTO IN THE SHOWER STALL – ON THE WALLS ?

perry..........

“if one needs what others earn, no longer need one steal it! government now does the job, and people hardly feel it!”
---R.W.Grant
Old 04-21-2003, 04:57 AM   #11
gpzrider
Tile Contractor -- Charleston, S.C.

...just finished doing a shower; customer wanted 6x6 rialto on the shower walls and shower seat with matching bullnose and she split the upper and lower portion with a listello. Looked nice and the pits were shallow enough so as not to cause any problems with grouting on the walls...i couldn't vouch for upkeep; but it doesn't look like it would be a problem; i would go for it...I don't know if you're up for it; those 12x12's would look good on the diagonal...
Old 04-21-2003, 06:38 AM   #12
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Caliber has to do with the actual sizing of the tile
tile in the box can vary 12x12 12 1/16 x 12 12 1/32 x 12 1/16 etc

if you start getting 12 x 12 1/8 11 7/8x 12 1/8 The Calibers are way off and you should pass on the purchase.
Many Big Box stores have inferior graded tile.This is why i said check the caliber.I hope this clears this issue up for you.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:47 PM   #13
tonyt

rialto problems

i did a counter top and backsplash with the rialto tile

i did not seal the tile before i grouted it.

now i am having a very diificult time removing the grout out of the pits that everyone is talking about.

anyone have any suggestions on getting grout out of these pits?

is an acid solution my only option or are there other ways of getting this grout out of there?
tonyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:20 PM   #14
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Perhaps a Dremel Tool would help.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:42 PM   #15
dale austin

Unhappy bewilderd

do my eyes deceive me surely all you "pros" dont shop for your tile and materials at lowes and home depot.whats the attraction,all that gourmet design help?how about their distinctly unique and inovating selections?Now perry as a consumer i can see you finding your way into the big box store as a convenience.maybe your local tile stores havent given you the service you should have,or maybe you havent spent enough time exploring the wondrful world of tile.Now im not sure how much that pitty tile is but ill bet for another 1.00or 2.00 pr ft you could find something you would be happier with and not have to make consessions........THE BITTERNESS OF POUR QUALITY LIVES ON LONG AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF WHAT SEEMS TO BE A GOOD DEAL!

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com