Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-17-2003, 04:19 PM   #1
chausfeld

how much space to leave at floor transition?

I posted this a while ago - but didn't get much response.

what I'd like to know is how much space should be left between our ceramic tile flooring (that we're in the process of laying now), and the existing wood floors in the dining room and tile floor in the bathroom? I assume we will need some sort of threshold there, since the heights will vary by 1/4"-1/2". I'd like the transition into these 2 adjacent rooms to be as smooth as possible.

also, where can I buy a threshold for this type of transistion and how is it installed?

thanks!
chausfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
As long as you have a quarter-inch gap or thereabouts, you're fine. Wood transition pieces can be bought at flooring stores. Most of them glue onto the hardwood side. Use a bead of caulking under it on the tile side.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 10:22 PM   #3
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Are you buying your hardwood flooringor having it custum milled and installed/ A hardwood installer should take care of any transitions for you.If you purchased wood flooring,the manufacturers have matching trim pieces many of which are T slot mouldings.1/4" can be a bit tight but generally will work.
if you err, err on the larger side up to 3/8".
Old 04-18-2003, 11:42 AM   #4
chausfeld

the hardwood floor is already there, as is the tile in the bathroom. we are laying new tile in the kitchen ourselves.

the bathroom tile will be about 1/4" higher than the kitchen tile. the wood floor in the dining room will be about 1/4" lower than the kitchen floor. I will leave about 3/4" at the 2 transisitions and look at some local flooring stores for thresholds that I can install.

thanks!
chausfeld is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com