Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-08-2003, 06:03 PM   #1
chausfeld

done laying hardbibacker. time for tile! questions.

this will be our first tiling project - tiling the kitchen floor with 12 x 12 ceramic tiles. the hardibacker is done - that was NOT fun. next weekend, we'd like to start laying the tile! so in the next few days, we need to PLAN.

I heard that we should lay out a grid. but won't the grid lines be covered by the thinset as we're putting down each tile? I don't understand how you can use these lines as a guide when they are all covered up.

assuming that grid IS neccessary, I realize I need to find the visual centerpoint in the room. will this mark a grout line or a centerline of a tile row?

when laying out the grid, how to I accomodate for the thickness of the grout?

I have a lot of odd corners in the room... how should I plan for this? I would like to cut the tiles as little as possible.

any other tips?
I've included a photo of part of the room (there is also an adjacent sunroom).

thanks everyone - you are always so helpful!
Attached Images

chausfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2003, 06:31 PM   #2
bbcamp

John has a very good treatment of the art of layout in his book.

You do have his book, right?

OK if you don't, do a search on layout. There have been many posts on the subject.

Meet back here after you finish with more questions.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 06:56 PM   #3
chausfeld

I didn't know he had a book, sorry! Think I could get it in time for the weekend?

I looked at some previous posts. Learned to use the 3-4-5 method to check how square my walls are. Learned that I should snap chalk lines for my grid. Learned that you put the thinset only up TO the lines and not over them - or the leave the corners showing.

What I did not learn is HOW to snap chalk lines? How to create the grid - where do the lines go?

Oh! I did learn that some of you guys can lay about 150 SF of tile per HOUR. At that rate, I'd rather just pay someone to do it. Any of you in the SF Bay Area and want to make some money this weekend (or next week)? It's only 275 SF. I'm serious! :-)
chausfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 07:10 PM   #4
bbcamp

Oh, come on, now! There's more out there than that!

Think of it this way. Let your eye tell you which wall is the most visually important. That wall will determine the major axis of the room and will be where the cuts (if needed) will need to be less noticable. Do this for both rooms. If one room uses a different wall than the other, pick which room is more important.

Divide the room in half in both directions, then measure to the wall. If the distance, in whole tiles and grout lines, leaves a skinny cut (less than half a tile width) then the centerline is the center of the tile. If greater than a tile width, then it is the center grout line.

Layout a few tiles along the lines, and through the next room to see how this transistion works. Shift as needed. Strive for a pleasing appearance, you're going to live with it for a long time.

Once you get the first lines figured out, then start marking the grid.

BTW John's book is available at www.Amazon.com, or in the antique section of the library.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase