Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
EAP

SNAP STONE TILE any good?

Hello. I feel once bitten, twice shy here. Why?

I was one of those who bought into that Edge Precision fiasco a few years back and was left holding the bag for several hundred dollars worth of worthless product. While my experience may not be as bad as some, I do not want to go through that with a new product.

Menard's recently began to carry the line of Snap Stone Ceramic Tile that is also supposed to be easier to install than traditional tile. I have seen this tile on the internet for as year or more, but have not done any research into it.

Does anyone have any experience with this product? Does it work? How well?
What do you pros think about it? It is also pricey like the edge stuff was.

What about the strength of the tile? What about the grout? Is it the real thing unlike the edge grout which like their tile also cracked.

Thanks for any and all responses.
EAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
bigmtk

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=21591
Old 01-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
chvipergts

Ceramic and porcelain tiles do not have any 'give' to them. This product is a floating floor, much like laminate glueless wood flooring. Wood has a certain amount of flexibility to it. When you have the slightest movement in tiles, especially with larger ones, breakage is very likely. I think money would be better spent on a traditional tile floor. Just my opinion, I've never used this product though.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
EAP

Thanks for the replies so far.

It makes one wonder if the stuff is priced high to cover the cost of an inferior product and the related costs of making good on it.

This stuff has been available for two years, perhaps three. I am surprised I have not heard more bad rap about it.

Part of the area to be tiled is a kitchenette with a full size refer I presume would crack this tile too?

I don't suppose using this stuff on a concrete floor would make any difference?

The Edge flooring I used was set on a concrete slab. It cracked too, although not as bad as other's experience with it. The grout for edge is a joke!

I wonder if this edge stuff is also history and no longer marketed?

Thanks again. Any and all (legitimate) replies welcome!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Saldibs
Tile Contractor -- Boston North Shore

Send a message via ICQ to Saldibs
Never used it NEVER will.
You can only choose one!

elitetileco.com
Saldibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
Dave Gobis
da Man!

It is a different manufacturing process from Edge who is no more. Some of the limitations of the Edge product were addressed in developing the Snapstone product. I have not heard much from the feild one way or the other.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
RESCOMflooring_SG
Wood and Tile Contractor

I was at Menards and saw this snapstone stuff. I find it funny how they try to make all these products DIY freindly but unless your room is a big square with no door ways to go around how can these products be simpler than slapping some tile down in mortar. I've had alot of DIYERS start a laminate job only to find out that they don't no the proper techniques do get under door jambs and casing so they cut square around it leaving an awful gap. Then I have to tear it out and do it right for them. The edge tile was the worst idea ever because instead of flexible laminate planks you are dealing with 12" wide planks with tile on them and no flex makes it even more difficult for first timers to get under doorways. Never used snap stone or edgetile and refuse to do it because I dont want the call back when the crappy product fails.

Sean
RESCOMflooring_SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
EAP

As I stated above, I first heard about the Snap Stone nearly two years ago. I noticed someone here posted about it in 2005.

It just appeared in the local Menard's ad for the very first time this week and lists it as new.

The snap stone if it would get wet, would not grow mold or mildew unlike the edge garbage because there is no organic underlayment in the snap stone. Rather a plastic interlocking grid underneath the tile itself.

The Edge stuff was also inferior because you could see it was thinner than traditional ceramic tile. For the uninformed (like me 4 years ago) it seemed like a very good thing but how many paid attention to the thickness?

Snap Stone says they are 75% thicker than the failed Edge product.

I am getting mixed signals so far with the responses here. Some additional opinions from other professionals would be welcomed. What I don't want is some Snap Stone company cheerleader in disguise as an end user saying it is the best thing since sliced bread. The Edge people did that.

Many thanks to all who've responded to this point.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Help us understand why you'd want to spend all the money on the fake stuff when you can get the real stuff that has a proven track record. I can't tell you what the product is like because I don't use it....I'd rather use any of the thousands and thousands of real tiles because I can get them in any color/texture/size desireable. Plus grouting is easy.

Doesn't the Snapstuff still have folks caulking/cheeze-whizzing the joints? That's a ton more difficult than just grouting it.

Help us understand what's un-attractive about using real tile? Is is mixing thinset?

Click here to learn how you can help fight the craptacular disease of Multiple Sclerosis (MS).

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 01-08-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

mmmmmmm, I like cheeze-whiz

"I can get them in any color/texture/size desireable"

thats why tile is supreme !
..................Check out our Blog
Florida Installer of Laticrete HydroBan & HydroBarrier
....Florida Installer of Schluter Kerdi & Kerdi-Board
................."Waterproofed Tile Showers"
........Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
EAP

Tool Guy raises some very good points. The Snap Stone is limited to three colors and one size at present. It is also more expensive than the Edge crap.

BTW- I researched and found Edge went bankrupt (Chapter 7 - liquidation) November 30, 2007. They claim a soft housing market. Yeah right!
That's only part of it. I guess they left a lot of us holding the bag while they slipped through the edge tile cracks!

I also went to Menard's last night. They have a video kiosk that shows three 300 pound weights revolving on a turret they claim has gone 4500 revolutions over a circular path on their (Snap Stone) tile and not at the strongest point in the tile (if there is one). They claim no damage. They say nothing about a direct impact like a pan dropping on the floor.

The material CLEARLY looks superior to Edge tile. For one it is thicker (they claim 75%) than other tiles. It is one square foot, not the two square foot tile bonded to a high density fiber piece of laminate.

The tiles are permanently attached to a plastic substrate that supports the entire tile, The tile also attaches which tongues and grooves on all 4 sides unlike the edge junk. It the worse happens and a tile needs to be removed, it will have to be chipped out (like traditional tile) of the tray and a new one glue in, or the floor may be able to be "unzipped" to get at the defective piece.

The grout seems more traditional. This is a second generation or later improvement in that product. It is applied like traditional grout with a rubber float pushed into the grout lines which appear perfect unlike the edge sruff which was inconsistent. The grout comes in a pail. It has some flexible properties to it. They say it requires no sealing after the fact.

i can understand that traditional tiling is an art among others. I can see the enormous pride a tile pro could have doing a job creatively as well as done well. They should be proud.

I would also ask one to consider the carpenter. Used to be they did everything with a hammer and nails. How many would do their job today with out a pneumatic nailer or other time-saving tool(s)?

I guess that is how an amateur tiler (like me) looks at the situation. The pros are used to mortar, cement board, mortar, scribing lines, setting tile, adding spacers, mixing up grount, applying grount, wiping down the tiles, then sealing them. Oh and the various segments of time to wait in between the process. And then there is all the tools involved as well.

With Snap Stone, the only "specialized" tools are the traditional wet saw and the rubber grout float that are required.

Please do not misunderstand. I am in NO WAY speaking against the traditional method or those who are wonderfully masterful at their trade and there are many of you!

I am looking for professional opinions and those from people who have used the snap stone first hand. I read dozens of disappointing letters from Edge consumers and I can say first hand using the stuff, it was a good idea but very VERY poorly executed.

The Snap Stone looks much better from an engineered viewpoint. They also appear to be much more open about the testing of their product.

A gentleman from the Ceramic Tile Education Foundation (CTEF) posted here and said they have received no reports one way or the other.

As I stated in my opening thread, I am once bitten, twice shy. However, the product looks (and feels) lightyears ahead of Edge in quality and durability. "Their" tests seem to prove that. This stuff is almost twice the price of Edge. I do not wish to make another costly mistake, in time or material.

But the labor involved (less) and the reduced mess and material factors seem very impressive.

I guess I am looking for some realworld advice as well as users.

Thanks again so very muich to all who have chimed-in so far. I appreciate all of your feedback.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #12
EAP

A friendly bump, if you will.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #13
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Thumbs down

I think all of the members here agree this is garbage. it is not ceramic tile and no where
near close to the color selection, shapes, textures, durability a look of real tile.

if you want something thats easy & cheap....install sheet vinyl.
..................Check out our Blog
Florida Installer of Laticrete HydroBan & HydroBarrier
....Florida Installer of Schluter Kerdi & Kerdi-Board
................."Waterproofed Tile Showers"
........Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
EAP

Vinyl is what we have now. It looks cheap! Although it was not.

Please do not misunderstand. I am not trying to discount anyone's opinions. However when I read of the Edge Tile problems they were fast and furious. And for very good reason!

This company (Snap Stone) has been around nearly as long. And no where have I heard (read) any disappointing remarks about anyone who has used this material. Why is that?

Thanks for the responses received thus far.

P.S. Snap stone is NOT cheap at least pricewise.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #15
melissadurante

Why would anybody want to try a new and "unconventional" product in their home??......It's like being the first to buy a new car model...everyone knows it takes a few years for the auto-maker to get out all the kinks.....

I'm old school....stick with the tried and true...
melissadurante is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com