Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 12-23-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
bmk

Best sealer for travertine filled tile?

i tried some of the stuff they sell at home depot on another house and it didnt work very well, i need to seal my kitchen floor and bathroom tub surround and floors at a house im fixing up. its 16x16 with 1/8 grout lines unsanded grout. any recommendations on what the best stuff out there is?

Old 12-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
ehuesman

BMK, what did you use from HD? Reason I ask is because I am installing travertine and bought the Customs Stone Specific sealer (the one for honed travertine of course). I was hoping for $40 a quart that it would be a decent product. I was searching that exact question when you put your post up. I'll keep an eye on your thread to see what advice you get. Good luck!
Old 12-25-2007, 01:39 AM   #3
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

We use Stone Tech for all of our sealing and cleaning. I have used Miracle products for many years and have found them to also be very good. We went to Stone tech primarily for the fact that they have very knowledgable people a phone call away..Real customer service is a big plus when your dealing with chemicals.

For general sealing..like your travertine..we use solvent based impregnators. Stone Techs Impregnator pro is a great one and is simple to use. From Miracle sealants I would use 511 or 511 porus plus. I think Stone tech's chemical make-up offers superior stain protection compared to the silicone base in the Miracle 511...so in the long run you may get more "bang for your buck" with the Stone tech..but that's my non-chemist "real-world" expirience

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
GeorgeT
StoneTech Rep

Send a message via ICQ to GeorgeT
No matter what product you wind up using, remember that proper application is the key to making sealers work properly. Saturate the stone and grout with sealer reapplying several times to soak the masonry with sealer. Then make sure you wipe off the surface well so you don't get residue issues. On some stones two or three additional applications may be needed to get the best seal.
Seal the shower, go have breakfast. Come back, seal the whole shower again, and if your going for three - take a quick coffee break, seal the whole shower again.... yeah it takes a while but thats the best way to get a proper seal.
http://www.stonetechpro.com/
GeorgeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com