Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
lionsnwings

Question Rent or Buy a Tile Saw?

Another question regarding tools...

Should I purchase a low end tile saw (can get a portable 7" diamond blade saw for under $100 at Lowes) or rent the professional model for nearly the same amount?

I would prefer to buy a saw, but I am worried that the quality of my cuts will not be up to my satisfaction.

This project is going to be 6x12 porcelain tile.

I do see myself doing future tiling projects, but I am willing to rent each time if means I get a much better cut and I don't have to store a large saw.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Brian, if you have plenty money laying around you can buy a more expensive saw then sell it on Ebay for nearly what you paid for it. I know that's alot of trouble but I have heard of folks doing that.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:48 PM   #3
KenH83

It really depends on how long your project is really gonna take you and not what you think it may take you.

Too many times have we hard of people planning on how long it will take for them to do a tile project, then ends up being 4-5x times longer than expected. This however is not to detour you away from doing the job, however which route down the road will get you what you want, for a justified price.

A lot around here would recommend you looking into the Felker TM-75. Its a great saw, mid size and carried very easy. Its a lot better one of the small $60-80 wet saws that I believe you're referring to. With the Felker TM-75 you can cut up to a 10" on a diagonal with no problem. It can be done on a tad bit bigger tile but it would require cutting from both directions. If i remember correctly you can cut a 14" tile in half as well.
KenH83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
chassis

I would buy one. After I did my first bath remodel, I decided there was no way to rent one and not spend a ton of money. The flexibility of owning a saw, so you can tile whenever you like, is worth it.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

We make most cuts on crappy bench top tile saw that sits right next to the area being tiled. We also have a very large MK Saw, which is quite big, which is better suited to be set up outside. 90% of the time, guys prefer to make the cuts on the crappy little bench top saw and the cut quality is no difference. The cuts are hidden by grout.

Bottom Line--try to buy a small used tile saw. Use it, and sell it. If the difference between the buy and sell is less than the rental cost then you've saved a wad of money.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
lionsnwings

Ended up buying this one from Home Depot. They had it in the store for $88.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100074675

It had good ratings from past users and with a 3/4 horse power motor, it is the biggest I found for under $100.

Hopefully it will do the trick.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Don't let the 3/4 horsepower fool you, Brian...that's an exaggeration. It'll take a little longer to cut, but it will likely do the job. With a lotta peeps around here owning one of those $88 specials, we hear a lot of feedback. Odd are, it will work ok for you. At least 1 in 3 take them back due to some weird problem. And a few folks have been using a saw like that as a DIY'er for years without too much hassle.

“The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.”
-Abraham Lincoln
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #8
sandbagger

The $88 WF will work if you don't push it too hard and don't expect it to do hours of production work. You can also expect to wish you had gone for something like the 150 in the not-too-distant future.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:47 PM   #9
ecosse

For sure buy a saw. The ones you rent are nice, but heavy. What if the project gets delayed? Lugging that thing back and forth more than you want to will make your mind up pretty quick! Further with a saw you own, even a low cost option, if you want to 'play around' with fancy cuts, you don't have to feel rushed to figure it out and get it done.
ecosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:54 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Gary, looks like you missed Brian's post above. He's already purchased a saw.

“The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.”
-Abraham Lincoln
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com