Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 12-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
oldjimmy

Repair hairline cracks in travertine?

Hi, All: We are preparing to put our house up for sale soon. We have an extensive amount of travertine on the first floor. Within the first year of completing construction (nearly 10 years ago) we found hairline cracks in several areas that we believe are due to settling stresses on the slab. The travertine was thinset directly to the slab.

Before I contact a local contractor about removing and replacing these tiles (probably 50+), I wanted to check to see if there was any method that we might use to "fill" these thin stress cracks instead. They have not changed in size for over 9 years now, and no new cracks have developed, and we don't have any wall cracks, uneven door jambs, etc. so we feel that the causative conditions are stable and not likely to recur now.

All of these cracks are really hairline; you can barely feel them when running a finger over them. I was hoping some very thin sort of matching color material could be run into these to minimize the visual impact. We will resign ourselves to replacement if necessary, but want to exhaust all other possibilities first.

Thanks for any advice!

Jim
Richmond, TX
oldjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

I have actually fixed Travertine for the same thing a few times.
one was a chiseled edge and we used unsanded matching wall grout,
let it pretty much dry for a while and then used a razor and slide it across
the top and then buffed it out, looked like a vein when we were done.

the other was honed Travertine and we used and epoxy called AKEMI to color it and then polish it.
..................Check out our Blog
Florida Installer of Laticrete HydroBan & HydroBarrier
....Florida Installer of Schluter Kerdi & Kerdi-Board
................."Waterproofed Tile Showers"
........Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
oldjimmy

Thanks for the advice, Brian. Just found time to give the unsanded grout a try.

No joy; hairline cracks are still quite visible as a crack and not as a similarly colored "vein". However, I mixed the grout according to the box instructions (sort of a mayonnaise consistency), and perhaps this is too thick for this particular job? Do you think I'd have better success with a more watery mix, like a thin slurry, to flow into the crack better?

If not, I am ready to try the AKEMI epoxy approach next. Also might be time to get somebody in who knows what they're doing!

Jim
Richmond, TX
oldjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #4
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

You might be better off using a nonsanded color matching caulk,squueze it into the joint then use a one sided razor blade to scrape it off flat, and a wet sponge to touch it up.The caulk will be more flexible.The Akemi is actually a polyester, and takes a some practice to use.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:27 AM   #5
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

I agree..any of the epoxies are gonna require a learning curve to get right..then you have the issue of top polishing the tiles to blend the area and that really takes time to learn. So I would try the caulk, grout and razor blade method for now.

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com