Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-26-2003, 03:37 PM   #1
Monty1

varied space between tile and tub

My problem: Aker whirlpool bath uneven with tile surrounding it
Is there a way to put something behind the silicone, which I now plan to use to recaulk our Aker 6" whirlpool bath, that will stabilize it?

Otherwise, I feel it will take a gallon of silicone to fill the gap back to the wall. As it is, the spacing between the tub and the tile that surrounds it, varys from 1/8 to 1/2 inches.

The drywall behind the tile ends at the tile and does not extend below the tub line.

It seems like I'd need to put some sort of board from the floor up to the tub line for the silicone to lay on, or it will fall back and onto floor under tub lip.

Also, tub appears to be resting on varying pieces of plywood used to level the tub (sort of like big shims), which in turn appear to be on the original floor (the rest of the bathroom was re-tiled by contractor.)

Backround
We have an Aker 6" whirlpool bath. The contractor installed it for us into a space where he had removed a five foot tub. He recaulked it twice before disappearing (a year and a half ago, leaving lots of other things undone, I add). The caulk has been cracked for a few months and I now am trying to fix it myself - the third re-caulking in two years.

I peeled and chipped away caulk and behind that, grout (or at least it looked like grout.) He seems to have grouted to the tub line because of the spacing around the tub. between the tub and the tile that surrounds it, varys greatly, like I said, from 1/8 to 1/2 inches.

I thought of using a ceramic edging kit, but I do not like how it looks.

Thank you!
Monty1
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2003, 04:19 PM   #2
bbcamp

Use some expanding foam, like Great Stuff, to fill the great void. When it is cured, trim off the excess and caulk.

Of course, you know that you have a poor installation. Getting the contractor back to fix it right seems impossible. If you want to re-do it, we can talk you through the whole process.

Bob
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 04:30 PM   #3
Monty1

Aker whirlpool bath unevenly installed

Bob,

What will I face re-doing it?

Also, what would expanding foam latch on to? If I can explain the space correctly, it is drywall with tile from about 1ft below ceiling to 1/2" to 1/8" above tub, then space (previously repeatedly cracking caulk), then edge of tub. Shooting in foam seems like it would flow over edge of tub, which is below tile and yet also behind tile, and down to floor and conceivably all around tub behind the skirt.

Thank you so much for replying!!
Monty1
Monty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 06:08 PM   #4
ninemile
Tile Saw Goddess

Monty, if I read your problem correctly, you could try caulking backer. It's basically an extruded foam thats used to fill in voids before installing chalk. Comes in 10ft lengths in the insulation section of any HW store.
ninemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 06:13 PM   #5
Monty1

Sounds great, Colleen! Any ideas on how to keep backer from tumbling over edge of tub "behind" wall? Monty1
Old 03-26-2003, 07:43 PM   #6
Terri

I hesitate to put my two cents in here, but I had two whirlpool tubs in by last house that were not installed correctly. They were sitting directly on the floor instead of in a mortar bed and flexed constantly. The tub material began to crack and fail on one (it was installed in such a way that the lip of the tub surround was supporting the entire weight of the tub) and the other required constant caulking as you describe. We tried injecting expanding foam underneath to stabilize them but it did not work. I don't know how much money you have invested in the tub, and they don't tend to be cheap, but it might be worth the aggravation to get it fixed properly. I imagine folks here could tell you how to do that. But this all assumes that I read your post correctly and the tub is just sitting on wood shims.
Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 08:06 AM   #7
Monty1

True, Terri.

As far as I can tell the acrylic (or gel coat) whirlpool tub sits on what Aker Plastics calls its integral "E-Z Set" Fiberglass Base System. The large plywood shims seem to have been used to level it. -Monty1
Old 03-27-2003, 09:03 AM   #8
bbcamp

Monty, Are you sure you have drywall behind your tiles? It may not matter.

If you shoot the foam into the area and make sure it hits something, it will stick and expand from that point. Even if it flows down to the floor, it shouldn't hurt anything, except the motor, which you can cover with something.

Let's try a different a different approach. You could remove 2 or three rows of tile next to the tub deck, add some blocking between the studs that extends below the tub deck, then replace the drywall with some CBU, and reset the tiles. The blocking will give the caulk something to seat against. Howeever, if you decide to go that route, you might as well redo the entire surround.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 09:11 AM   #9
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

You could consider an 'skirting' of cultured marble, or even real stone.
Sonnie Layne is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com