Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
pamk

Smile How thick can thin-set be?

Hi all.
I have a new project. I have a 1960's bath that has a 16" deep home-made tiled tub/shower, about 16 square feet in area. I've already pulled up the old tiles on the floor of the tub and plan to leave the walls as they are. The old tiles were set on a mortar base. The bottom row of wall tiles is coved. I want to put river rock "tile" down, but want a steeper slope to make sure the floor will drain well. I'd like to raise the perimeter at least 1" and slope it down to the drain. What can I use to raise the floor of the tub area? thin-set? Cement? the sand/cement mixture "Mud" I used to slope my other bathroom? How much trouble can I expect if I cover up the coved part of the bottom row of tiles with the new pebble? I use laticrete expoxy grout, so I have a lot of confidence in the strength of the grout.
Thanks in advance for the advice. Pam
pamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2007, 01:26 AM   #2
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

You can build up and patch your bed using thinset, but do it in several thin layers 1/4" ish, versus one thick layer.

If you need to build up a lot, you can thinset to your pan and add deck mud to that and build your slope how you want it.

But you're sure you dont want to pull it all out and do new waterproofing/pan/drain/trap/etc while you have it torn apart? If its from the 60's its probably time for it.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
prashster

Not sure I understand yr scenario. I will say this: I wouldn't use thinset to build the floor up more than 1/8". All cements/thinsets/mortars/muds/concretes are a mix of cement, sand and aggregate. Thinsets/mortars/cements are light on sand and ag and heavy on cement. So, they bond well, but don't support weight well. They can crack if too thick. Deck mud is really appropriate for a 1" raise. DM has sand to make it stable. Concrete would have stones (aggregate) in it, which'd make it too lumpy for this app.

You can mix yr own deck mud from cement and sand (there are a bunch of refs to how to do this on this forum).
Old 11-29-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
pamk

Thanks!

Thank you for the great advice. It all makes good sense. And, the advice to put thin set on to bond the mud to the current floor would have been my next question. You experts are ahead of me here.
Time to get busy!
Pam
pamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
prashster

Correction: i'm no expert, just repeating the advice given to me.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com