Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
YvonneA

Outdoor mosaic patio and fountain in freeze thaw area

I'm getting ready to mosaic the inside and outside of a small fountain, all total about 42 square feet. The fountain is a couple of years old, cement and a new floor was poured about a month ago. I've been told that I need to seal the inside for before adding the mosaic. Someone suggested that I use a product called Thouroughseal and that I should use another product called Acryl 60 as the liquid. I was also told that Thouroughseal covers about 100 square feet...I only need enough to cover the inside which is about 16 square feet. I really don't want to buy this stuff and have so much left over. Can anyone suggest any other product I can use to seal the inside of the fountain?

Thank you.

Yvonne A.
YvonneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Yvonne.

Thoroseal mixed with Acryl60 is a very good concrete waterproofing product. I've used it in foundation work for years.

However, I've never been able to get a response from the company when I've emailed asking if the product was a suitable substrate for a ceramic tile installation using thinset mortar.

We've had a couple situations here on the forums where I thought it would have been a good product for the particular application, but can't determine if it's actually suitable.

Perhaps you'll have better luck. They're here.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
YvonneA

Adhesive for Outdoor mosaic patio and fountain in freeze thaw area

I'm a mosaic artist and I'm getting ready to install an outdoor mosaic on a cement floor (patio type area) and fountain in an area that gets some freeze thaw in winter. I usually use polymer modified thinset for most of my projects. I've never done an outdoor freeze thaw floor or fountain, so this is a bit new to me. Should I use a different type of thinset or additive? Also, same question for the grout...should I use some type of additive instead of water? My concerns are the freeze thaw environment and also the water in the fountain. I'm using tile suitable for freeze thaw for the patio and porcelain pool tile and glass for the fountain. Any information that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Yvonne A.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Yvonne,

This is a project requiring attention to details. I see you have another thread on this same project, so I've merged them to keep all your info together.

Others will ask other questions, but I'll start with: Is the patio area you are working on level or does it have some slope to the promote drainage when it gets wet? A picture would be helpful if you could post that.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:18 AM   #5
blueshound75

I have been using Ardex 8+9 it is a two part water proofer that mixes latex like substance with concrete to get a superior bond to thinsets and about anything...

If the price is too high then the story is too short
blueshound75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
YvonneA

This forum is great! Thanks for the replies.

CX, thanks for the link to Thouroughseal. I'll call them, ask the question and if I get a response, let you know. How is the thourughseal applied? Is it brushed on?

KG, I've been told that the patio has slope for drainage. I came into this project after the patio was already in, so I wasn't involved in that part of it. I'm volunteering my time to do this project, so I'm relying a lot on what the customer is telling me. Since you're in Wisconsin, I guess you know all about the freeze thaw issue. We're in Arizona, so the freeze thaw isn't anything like what you experience, but I want to make sure that the installation holds up regardless. Any suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I do have a photo...if I can figure out how to post it, I will.

Blueshound, thanks for the info on Ardex. I'll check into it.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2007, 10:03 PM   #7
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Thoroseal Instructions

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com