Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-05-2003, 02:46 PM   #1
jackie

Hot Tub Deck Tile??

We are in the planning stage (well, actually just talking) of re-doing the hot tub deck. The sides are made of wood--but we want to do the top in tile. Not something that will be glazed and slippery. We'll put down plywood and concrete backer board on the supports, as on a floor, but what would be the best tile to use? The hot tub is out of doors; but we live in the Portland, Oregon area, which seldom sees temperatures below freezing for any amount of time. Any recommendations?? Thanks!
jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2003, 04:45 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jackie, Welcome.

I'm familiar with the type of hot tub you have (I think). I've never tried it, so I have zero experience, but I would be afraid that the sides of the tub might not afford a top that is stable enough to tile. I think the wood (redwood?) might move about a little as the tub is used. Don't know. Let's hear what others might have to add.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 08:17 PM   #3
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Hi Jackie,welcome to Our home away from work
Perhaps if you could post a picture of the tub,we could plan a little better on how many of us will help you
Kidding.A picture would help us to see what type of structure you have though.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:45 PM   #4
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Yep, gotta see a picher first. We like pichers.

Plywood and CBU for an exterior installation just doesn't sound like such a good idea to me, though.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:55 AM   #5
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

Tile on Top of Redwood

I wouldn't have a problem at all doing this IF the base was mud. I'd use no more than 2 inch mosiacs so the base wouldn't be slippery. Quarter round mud trim to conceal the edges.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:46 PM   #6
leeshuck

Check out http://www.pacificclay.com/.

They have several tile lines made for pool decks - I've seen it and it's quite nice. Was considering the Quarziti or Technoquartz for for my bathroom, but I think it's texture is a little too much for that.
leeshuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 02:51 PM   #7
jackie

Okay, here is a picture of the hot tub. I can understand what some are saying about the base not being stable enough...but perhaps there is a way to brace it up, much as floors can be stabalized??

Now you know why it needs re-done :-)
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2003, 04:34 AM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Hi Jackie,

I would do a reinforced mortar bed, and I would waterproof it on the surface. Then tile it. I think it could also be done with cement backer board if the top is very, very sound.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:22 AM   #9
jackie

How do you waterproof the mortar bed?
Old 03-14-2003, 10:53 AM   #10
bbcamp

A paintable/trowelable membrane can be applied. The tiles can be set on the membrane.

Do I see a cut out in the deck for a filter or some part of the plumbing?

BTW, I rebuilt my entire cabinet using pressure treated pine for the top frame and cedar for the sides. I don't have the flat surfaces in the corners that you have, and mine stays under a roof on my patio. The original cabinet was not built with water resistant materials and practically fell apart.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 11:52 AM   #11
jackie

Ah, thanks for the info. on the membrane--although that's about all I know about it for now.

Yes, there is a "door" on the foundation that gives access to the pump and filter. I suppose just about everything will be re-built. Or maybe I'll forget the tiling idea completely; don't want to put it under roof, you can't see the stars at night that way :-)

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:10 PM   #12
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

The hot tub is out of doors; but we live in the Portland, Oregon area, which seldom sees temperatures below freezing for any amount of time

Jackie-- One thing to think about if you're going to do this in mud, which is actually the best way to do it, and that is to put in a drainage membrane under the mud. The problem you might have otherwise is that fact that although it's seldom for any length of time, it DOES get below freezing, and all it takes is a couple of hours, if there's any water or moisture in the mortar bed. If you put in a drainage membrane under the mud bed, the water has a place to go, rather than being trapped in the mud, and the installation won't fail.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right."

http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 07:21 PM   #13
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Jackie,

Sorry for being so tight with information. We have to know where you're going before we write a book.

Laticrete makes a good surface applied waterproofer called "Laticrete 9235." They also sell a smaller version at Lowes.

http://www.laticrete.com

You either do the mud or the backer board and then put on the waterproofer. Thin set mortar, which is what you glue the tiles on with, will stick to the waterproofer.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com